Japan earthquake brings back memories of California ones I experienced
- Recalling Irish America’s greatest moment: President Clinton’s first visit to Belfast
- Inquiries into pre-Good Friday Agreement Northern Ireland crimes must end
- “Philomena” a must-see movie that breaks your heart (VIDEO)
- What JFK’s America was really like in November 1963 - Time capsule of New York Daily News paper of the day
- An afternoon with Chuck Feeney, Irish America’s greatest hero
I was in an earthquake twice and did the wrong thing both times.
It was when I was living in San Francisco in the 1980s. There was always a danger of course, but I never really thought about it.
Until I was sitting at the bar of Ireland's 32 on Geary Street one Friday afternoon when suddenly the glasses began rattling and the floor began shaking.
You never expect the ground to give way underneath you and it was a petrifying moment.
I did exactly the wrong thing.
Instead of hiding under a table or standing in a door jamb I bolted outside into the street, which of course exposed me to falling wires, bricks and anything else that might come down.
The second time I was up a ladder painting a house when the quake hit.
I had an horrific hangover from the night before and felt the ladder shift.
I was sure the hangover was much worse than I had thought and I climbed down and went home.
Only when I got back there did I realize it has d been a fairly significant earthquake.
I thought of those two occasions today as I watched the awful scenes from Japan.
My earthquakes were 5.8 and 6.2 on the Richter Scale, I can only imagine what a magnitude 9 must feel like.
May they all come home safely, the missing and the lost.
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- Irish drugs mule to escape full trial and...
- Top Christmas Irish ads that will be bring...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...