Irish want to default on bank loans new opinion poll shows
- “Philomena” a must-see movie that breaks your heart (VIDEO)
- What JFK’s America was really like in November 1963 - Time capsule of New York Daily News paper of the day
- An afternoon with Chuck Feeney, Irish America’s greatest hero
- How the Gaelic Players Association has saved lives in Ireland
- Ray Kelly is right, politicians who attacked him are full of it
A strong majority of Irish people want the government to default on the billions owed to bondholders of Irish banks according to a new Sunday Independent poll.
The poll shows that 57 per cent approve of such a move while 43 per cent oppose.
It is hardly surprising given the fact that new information shows that most of the bondholders are major European banks and brokerage houses (see list in accompanying article on this site) who made massive money when Anglo- Irish especially was borrowing billions from them, but refuse to accept the losses now that the deals have gone bad.
Instead they want the Irish taxpayer to pay.
The newspaper quotes an Irish government source saying that when the idea of default was put to European bankers, preparing the IMF rescue loan they "went ballistic,'
That is almost certainly because they know if Ireland defaults on its loans other countries will find themselves in a deep hole with their own banks, on the hook for the Irish money.
"The Europeans went completely mad," a senior government source told the newspaper when the idea was floated.
I think there will be a few twists in this story yet. A new Irish government may face incredible pressure to ease the crippling tax burden on their people and force the bondholders to pay up.
They may also decide that leaving the euro, the source of all the cheap credit that banjaxed the country may be the way to go
15 - 38 | See all comments
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Smithwick inquiry finds Irish police may...
- Obama relative gets personal special deal...
- Why Ireland needs to give its emigrants a...
- Amazing story of how Choctaw Indians raised...
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis'...
- 'Danny Boy' turns 100 and the experts explain...
- Sarah Jessica Parker opens her heart to grievin
- Most Americans are in favor of immigration...
- Pope Francis calls capitalism “new tyranny”...