Gun toll; America 9,369 dead, Great Britain 14 -- get the picture? Obama should attend all the funerals in Newtown after massacre
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 07:21 AM
- Mario Cuomo and Mike Dowling dazzle at Irish America lunch
- Recalling Irish America’s greatest moment: President Clinton’s first visit to Belfast
- Inquiries into pre-Good Friday Agreement Northern Ireland crimes must end
- “Philomena” a must-see movie that breaks your heart (VIDEO)
- What JFK’s America was really like in November 1963 - Time capsule of New York Daily News paper of the day
|A vigil was held in front of the White House on Friday night for the victims of the Connecticut shooting.|
Here are the statistics; Murders with a firearm in one year: Great Britain, 14; Australia 59; Canada, 144: USA, 9,369.
Are we crazy or has the rest of the world got lucky?
The fault lies in ourselves it seems. Gun violence is out of control.
I think President Obama should attend the funeral of every one of the 27 killed in Newtown, Connecticut.
That way he might show he is serious about efforts at gun control.
His spokesman Jay Carney made one of the dumbest comments in presidential press secretary history when he said on Friday, the day of the tragedy, that this was not the day to talk about the guns issue.
If not Friday, when? Before the next massacre happens?
At a time when the very heavens are screaming for action, Obama and his risk averse staff don’t get it.
The country wants action on this issue and they want it now.
It is appalling to see foreign leaders including the Queen line up and offer sympathy to the U.S. government.
I understand a gesture like that after 9/11 but the foreign leaders should be saying, “Hey America, get your gun house in order.”
The killer had legally held guns, he broke no law. We gave a complete psycho free access to guns -- where did we go so badly wrong?
That is the lesson here, the image of the U.S. worldwide once again is of a cowboy nation where they shoot school children, don’t they, in defense of their Second Amendment rights, a Second Amendment by the way, that is heavily qualified by its caveat sentence at the beginning.
I don’t think Thomas Jefferson and company intended for the right to kill little innocent children to be part of the plan. Amazingly, we have been suckered in these past few years into that position.
But it is time to cry halt now, before another lunatic somewhere decides he wants to top what happened in Newtown and kill even more of our children.
Obama must know there are issues that he must tackle before they fester and bleed and damage America’s soul even more.
The gun issue is now the key one of those.
He should listen to Mayor Bloomberg, the voice in the wilderness these past few years, and follow his plan.
At least then we might have some common sense applied.
The murder of more children seems to be the trade-off for keeping the gun lobby happy.
Can we really live with that? We know this country can do a lot better.
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Baby dies in horror birth at Belfast hospital...
- Bill O’Reilly slams Nelson Mandela as an...