Gun toll; America 9,369 dead, Great Britain 14 -- get the picture? Obama should attend all the funerals in Newtown after massacre
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 07:21 AM
- Boston immigration center apologizes to young woman they turned in to U.S. authorities - “The IIIC is deeply sorry for the hurt and upset that this incident caused the young woman”
- The Irish community returns to Hurricane Sandy hit Rockaways to aid ongoing recovery
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities by Irish immigrant support group - Boston-based Irish International Immigrant Center does the unspeakable
- Profile in Irish fighting courage - Heffernan’s campaign for respite care for families dealing with fatal rare illnesses such as Batten’s disease
- Senator Schumer says Irish deserve a separate deal for visas because of 1965 shutout - Says “Schumer visas” set to give Ireland 10,500 visas a year for the future
|A vigil was held in front of the White House on Friday night for the victims of the Connecticut shooting.|
Here are the statistics; Murders with a firearm in one year: Great Britain, 14; Australia 59; Canada, 144: USA, 9,369.
Are we crazy or has the rest of the world got lucky?
The fault lies in ourselves it seems. Gun violence is out of control.
I think President Obama should attend the funeral of every one of the 27 killed in Newtown, Connecticut.
That way he might show he is serious about efforts at gun control.
His spokesman Jay Carney made one of the dumbest comments in presidential press secretary history when he said on Friday, the day of the tragedy, that this was not the day to talk about the guns issue.
If not Friday, when? Before the next massacre happens?
At a time when the very heavens are screaming for action, Obama and his risk averse staff don’t get it.
The country wants action on this issue and they want it now.
It is appalling to see foreign leaders including the Queen line up and offer sympathy to the U.S. government.
I understand a gesture like that after 9/11 but the foreign leaders should be saying, “Hey America, get your gun house in order.”
The killer had legally held guns, he broke no law. We gave a complete psycho free access to guns -- where did we go so badly wrong?
That is the lesson here, the image of the U.S. worldwide once again is of a cowboy nation where they shoot school children, don’t they, in defense of their Second Amendment rights, a Second Amendment by the way, that is heavily qualified by its caveat sentence at the beginning.
I don’t think Thomas Jefferson and company intended for the right to kill little innocent children to be part of the plan. Amazingly, we have been suckered in these past few years into that position.
But it is time to cry halt now, before another lunatic somewhere decides he wants to top what happened in Newtown and kill even more of our children.
Obama must know there are issues that he must tackle before they fester and bleed and damage America’s soul even more.
The gun issue is now the key one of those.
He should listen to Mayor Bloomberg, the voice in the wilderness these past few years, and follow his plan.
At least then we might have some common sense applied.
The murder of more children seems to be the trade-off for keeping the gun lobby happy.
Can we really live with that? We know this country can do a lot better.
- Boston immigration center apologizes to young...
- Irishman John Downey arrested for 1982 IRA...
- Justice Minister hangs on as Shattergate...
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities
- Government minister calls for investigation...
- Amnesty International says Ireland’s abortion...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- New book ‘John F. Kennedy - Among the Germans’.
- Sleazy secrets and the American Dream of...
- ‘Quiet Man’ star Maureen O’Hara says John...