Even from the grave Ted Kennedy may dominate 2012 Presidential election
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 03:18 PM
- Profile in Irish fighting courage - Heffernan’s campaign for respite care for families dealing with fatal rare illnesses such as Batten’s disease
- Senator Schumer says Irish deserve a separate deal for visas because of 1965 shutout - Says “Schumer visas” set to give Ireland 10,500 visas a year for the future
- Prospects for immigration reform bill are 50-50 say the pols privately - House seen as major obstacle as Senate gets closer to a vote
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing on Pat Finucane death - New hearings told how informer was murdered before he could give evidence
- U.S. Tourism Ireland chief Joe Byrne says goodbye and hello again to massive acclaim - Popular Carlow native led tourist figures to Ireland to historic heights
|Ed Kennedy & Mitt Romney|
That is because his tactics in 1994 against Mitt Romney when he ran against Kennedy for the US senate proved so successful.
I remember that race well.
I was allowed to accompany Kennedy for a day on the campaign trail. It was a wonderful experience watching the ultimate retail politician close up, knowing the names of every doorman, family, and public official he met.
But at the time Kennedy was down by three points and readily confessed he was deeply worried about his re-election against a young Mitt Romney. Romney looked fit and and was pounding Kennedy on being old and past his sell by date.
It was a harsh critique and Kennedy was reeling.
The unthinkable was about to happen it seemed.
Hot Topic: Does the US Green Card system mean the US loses out on bright and educated Irish immigrants?
The real truth about the Boston College taped IRA interviews
Obama got the love from Irish audiences he couldn't get in America - VIDEO
That was until Kennedy decided to hit back in devastating fashion.
Kennedy staffer Tad Devine went to Indiana and filmed unemployed workers who had been laid off after Bain Capital moved in to control their company.
The TV ads had a huge and immediate impact.
Kennedy went from three points down to winning the race by twenty points.
The tactic that worked in Massachusetts is being trotted out by fellow Republicans now against Romney.
But that is only the warm up for what Obama's folks will put together to try and defeat Romney in the Fall.
They are all taking their lead from Kennedy's successful assault on Romney on this issue back in 1994.
Just as he did when he endorsed Obama in 2008 and changed the complexion of the race, Kennedy
Somewhere Ted Kennedy, doubtless, is smiling.
- Horse disemboweled and sliced open in horrific.
- Planned Parenthood support for Irish leader...
- Senator Schumer says Irish deserve a separate...
- Irish politician refuses to back down on...
- Irish footballer under investigation after...
- British emigrant group calls on government...
- Gay porn priest is appointed to new parish...
- Bill O'Reilly claims the Obama administration...
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing
- Delphi Lodge takes responsibility for turning...