Even from the grave Ted Kennedy may dominate 2012 Presidential election
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2012 at 03:18 PM
- Mario Cuomo and Mike Dowling dazzle at Irish America lunch
- Recalling Irish America’s greatest moment: President Clinton’s first visit to Belfast
- Inquiries into pre-Good Friday Agreement Northern Ireland crimes must end
- “Philomena” a must-see movie that breaks your heart (VIDEO)
- What JFK’s America was really like in November 1963 - Time capsule of New York Daily News paper of the day
|Ed Kennedy & Mitt Romney|
That is because his tactics in 1994 against Mitt Romney when he ran against Kennedy for the US senate proved so successful.
I remember that race well.
I was allowed to accompany Kennedy for a day on the campaign trail. It was a wonderful experience watching the ultimate retail politician close up, knowing the names of every doorman, family, and public official he met.
But at the time Kennedy was down by three points and readily confessed he was deeply worried about his re-election against a young Mitt Romney. Romney looked fit and and was pounding Kennedy on being old and past his sell by date.
It was a harsh critique and Kennedy was reeling.
The unthinkable was about to happen it seemed.
Hot Topic: Does the US Green Card system mean the US loses out on bright and educated Irish immigrants?
The real truth about the Boston College taped IRA interviews
Obama got the love from Irish audiences he couldn't get in America - VIDEO
That was until Kennedy decided to hit back in devastating fashion.
Kennedy staffer Tad Devine went to Indiana and filmed unemployed workers who had been laid off after Bain Capital moved in to control their company.
The TV ads had a huge and immediate impact.
Kennedy went from three points down to winning the race by twenty points.
The tactic that worked in Massachusetts is being trotted out by fellow Republicans now against Romney.
But that is only the warm up for what Obama's folks will put together to try and defeat Romney in the Fall.
They are all taking their lead from Kennedy's successful assault on Romney on this issue back in 1994.
Just as he did when he endorsed Obama in 2008 and changed the complexion of the race, Kennedy
Somewhere Ted Kennedy, doubtless, is smiling.
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Baby dies in horror birth at Belfast hospital...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas