Emigrants give far more to America than they take --Time to stop racist anti-emigrant sentiment
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 09:03 PM
- “Philomena” a must-see movie that breaks your heart (VIDEO)
- What JFK’s America was really like in November 1963 - Time capsule of New York Daily News paper of the day
- An afternoon with Chuck Feeney, Irish America’s greatest hero
- How the Gaelic Players Association has saved lives in Ireland
- Ray Kelly is right, politicians who attacked him are full of it
|Immigrant children arriving to a new land|
It has been my experience that emigrants far from taking jobs, create them.
Let's take an incredible example, Sergey Brin, co-founder of Google.
Here is an emigrant from Russia who started one of the world's greatest companies.
No doubt there are many America Firsters out there who would prefer he never came to these shores because he would 'take' an American job.'
He now employs close to 10,000 Americans and gets 1,300 resumes a day from people seeking to work at Google.
Over half the start-ups in Silicon Valley are by emigrants, yes, that despised class that many America Firsters seem to believe belong in the nearest jail.
In my own experience as an emigrant, I never worked for an American company in my life.
I came to the US as a school teacher. After a brief period as a house painter I stated my own newspapers and have been working for myself ever since -- and employing many Americans along the way.
I love what this country has given me and hope I have given back -- partly by providing jobs for some Americans.
So when anti-immigrant groups such as Numbers USA start their usual rant that America is full up of foreigners and doesn't need any others I ask you to think of Sergey Brin, Albert Einstein, Nobel winner Eli Wiesel and many other magnificent emigrants to this country who have made such a profound difference
Only that way will we have any understanding of the massive up-side of emigration.
15 - 46 | See all comments
- Notre Dame sues federal government again...
- Caroline Kennedy “selfie” in Japan reveals...
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Smithwick inquiry finds Irish police may...
- Ireland wins top spot on Forbes’ Best Countries
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Why Ireland needs to give its emigrants a...
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis'...
- Pope Francis calls capitalism “new tyranny”...
- Cork mother grieves for husband, son and...