Emigrants give far more to America than they take --Time to stop racist anti-emigrant sentiment
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 09:03 PM
- Mario Cuomo and Mike Dowling dazzle at Irish America lunch
- Recalling Irish America’s greatest moment: President Clinton’s first visit to Belfast
- Inquiries into pre-Good Friday Agreement Northern Ireland crimes must end
- “Philomena” a must-see movie that breaks your heart (VIDEO)
- What JFK’s America was really like in November 1963 - Time capsule of New York Daily News paper of the day
|Immigrant children arriving to a new land|
It has been my experience that emigrants far from taking jobs, create them.
Let's take an incredible example, Sergey Brin, co-founder of Google.
Here is an emigrant from Russia who started one of the world's greatest companies.
No doubt there are many America Firsters out there who would prefer he never came to these shores because he would 'take' an American job.'
He now employs close to 10,000 Americans and gets 1,300 resumes a day from people seeking to work at Google.
Over half the start-ups in Silicon Valley are by emigrants, yes, that despised class that many America Firsters seem to believe belong in the nearest jail.
In my own experience as an emigrant, I never worked for an American company in my life.
I came to the US as a school teacher. After a brief period as a house painter I stated my own newspapers and have been working for myself ever since -- and employing many Americans along the way.
I love what this country has given me and hope I have given back -- partly by providing jobs for some Americans.
So when anti-immigrant groups such as Numbers USA start their usual rant that America is full up of foreigners and doesn't need any others I ask you to think of Sergey Brin, Albert Einstein, Nobel winner Eli Wiesel and many other magnificent emigrants to this country who have made such a profound difference
Only that way will we have any understanding of the massive up-side of emigration.
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.