Ellis Island footage of Irish arriving reminds us of where we all came from
- Profile in Irish fighting courage - Heffernan’s campaign for respite care for families dealing with fatal rare illnesses such as Batten’s disease
- Senator Schumer says Irish deserve a separate deal for visas because of 1965 shutout - Says “Schumer visas” set to give Ireland 10,500 visas a year for the future
- Prospects for immigration reform bill are 50-50 say the pols privately - House seen as major obstacle as Senate gets closer to a vote
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing on Pat Finucane death - New hearings told how informer was murdered before he could give evidence
- U.S. Tourism Ireland chief Joe Byrne says goodbye and hello again to massive acclaim - Popular Carlow native led tourist figures to Ireland to historic heights
In a week where President Obama visited the Mexican border area to discuss immigration it is no harm to look back on the 125th anniversary of Lady Liberty and our own roots.
The film below is from 1906 on Ellis Island and is entitled Irish arrive on Ellis island, called Isle of Hope, Isle of Tears by the Irish.
Whether they are all Irish I don't know, perhaps a ship had just arrived from Cork.
We see them carrying their life possessions in little suitcases, facing a new world full of uncertainties.
About halfway through a little girl walks by, and I wonder what became of her. She must have looked on that long trip from Ireland as a great adventure, and was probably glad it was now over.
I think I see her again in the second frame, waiting for someone.
The emigrants are clearly through Ellis Island and the medical exam and have been reunited with their possessions and are heading for Manhattan aboard the ferry.
They must be so happy to finally find their path open to a new life in America
Where did they all end up?
Is there someone there now related to one of these brave souls facing their brave new world?
I don't know, but in a week where emigration was once more on the people's lips it is good to look back and remember where 100 million of us came from, through Ellis Island.
- Horse disemboweled and sliced open in horrific.
- Senator Schumer says Irish deserve a separate...
- Irish politician refuses to back down on...
- Irish footballer under investigation after...
- Bill O'Reilly claims the Obama administration...
- British emigrant group calls on government...
- Delphi Lodge takes responsibility for turning...
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing
- Sex addiction on the rise says Dublin Clinic...
- 'You attack one Muslim, you attack all Muslims'