Contraception controversy overshadows amazing work of Catholic hospitals --- Vital part of US healthcare in every state
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2012 at 03:12 PM
- Inquiries into pre-Good Friday Agreement Northern Ireland crimes must end
- “Philomena” a must-see movie that breaks your heart (VIDEO)
- What JFK’s America was really like in November 1963 - Time capsule of New York Daily News paper of the day
- An afternoon with Chuck Feeney, Irish America’s greatest hero
- How the Gaelic Players Association has saved lives in Ireland
Catholic hospitals have been dragged into the discussion over contraception in recent weeks, making them also a target for criticism
But it is time Catholic healthcare systems and the incredible work that Catholic hospitals do for the ill and needy in this country is recognized.
I have always stated that the church in America needs to rewrite their priorities, less of the harsh social teaching and more of the focus on the amazing work they do in education and health care.
Chicago cardinal said to snub Irish Prime Minister’s visit over Vatican Embassy closure
Obama campaign upsets Irish with incorrect four-leafed clover t-shirt campaign
Sarah Palin’s aides lash out at Julianne Moore’s portrayal of presidential candidate in 'Game Change' - VIDEO
That is where the success of their mission is clear.
There are Catholic Hospital facilities present in all 50 states providing acute care, skilled nursing, and other services including hospice, home health, assisted living, and senior housing.
Here are some amazing facts:
* There are 624 Catholic hospitals.
* There are 60 Catholic health care systems.
* 1 in 6 patients in the United States are cared for in a Catholic acute-care facility each year.
* More than 5.5 million patients were admitted to Catholic hospitals during a one-year period.
* There were more than 92 million outpatient visits in Catholic hospitals during a one-year period.
* Catholic hospitals account for more than one fifth, or 20 percent, of admissions in 21 states and the District of Columbia.
* Catholic hospitals employ more than 525,193 full-time employees and 233,394 part-time workers.
- Irish university suspends Legion of Mary...
- 4,000 Irish social welfare letters encourage...
- Notre Dame sues federal government again...
- Pope Francis calls capitalism “new tyranny”...
- Top ten worst ever Irish Christmas gifts,...
- Nelson Mandela showed us all what could be...
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis'...
- Address by Nelson Mandela to Joint Houses...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...