British take over Obama White House on St.Patrick's week -- Irish celebration pushed back to after St.Patrick's Day
- President Obama’s visit to North comes at a critical time for peace process - Hopes that he can help stop slow slide into the dark side
- Boston Irish Immigration Center continues to lie about their role in turning woman in to State Department
- Why no effort to repair damage to Irish Famine memorial in New York nearly one year after? - Car slammed into memorial and ugly plywood and metal barricades still mark the site
- How sports helped defeat the 'No Irish Need Apply' racism in America - Top baseball exec Tim Brosnan tells Irish Sports 50 how Irish served as example
- Sandy scourged Rockaways is on the mend with a little help from community spirit and perseverance
|British Prime Minister David Cameron and President Barack Obama|
Begorrah, the Brits are stealing St.Patrick’s week 2012 at the White House from under us.
President Obama just announced an official visit and a state dinner for British Prime Minister David Cameron and wife Samantha on March 13th and 14th on St.Patrick’s week this year.
This might explain how the annual Irish St Pat’s celebration at the White House got bumped to after St.Patrick’s day, on the 20th of March to be precise, when the green bunting has long been taken down.
We were told originally it was because St.Patrick’s Day was on a Saturday and the Congress would not be in session etc. so the event at the White House was moved to Tuesday with the American Ireland Fund Gala Washington dinner set for Monday the 19th.
We thought it was a little strange, but being the compliant Paddies we are, we accepted the somewhat strange arrangements at face value.
Big Brother really is watching -- Irish tourist nabbed by US Government due to algorithm
Irish American NYPD cop shooter laughed and smiled on way to court – VIDEO
U2’s Bono set to become billionaire thanks to Facebook investment
We all know it is stale beer celebrating St.Patrick’s Day after the fact, but we just went with the flow.
But this freshly arrived press release shows the Brits moved right in on our celebrated week.
"President Obama and the First Lady will welcome Prime Minister David Cameron of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and his wife, Samantha Cameron, to the White House for an Official Visit with a State Dinner on March 13-14, 2012. The visit will highlight the fundamental importance of the U.S.-UK special relationship and the depth of the friendship between the American people and the people of the United Kingdom, as well as the strong personal bond that has developed between the two leaders and their families.
"It will also be an opportunity to recall the valor and sacrifice of the U.S. and British armed forces and their long tradition of standing shoulder-to-shoulder beside each other in defense of our liberties and shared values.
"The visit will underscore the strength of our economic links, which contribute to millions of jobs on both sides of the Atlantic. The Prime Minister’s visit will reciprocate the gracious hospitality shown to the President and Mrs. Obama by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Mr. and Mrs. Cameron, and the British people during the State Visit that was hosted by Queen Elizabeth II in May 2011.”
A state visit no less and bumping the Irish from the White House St. Patrick’s Week -- score one for Davy Cameron and the boys.
How many British voters are there in American elections again? Oh never mind-- the 40 million Irish Americans know their place-- and it is not at the top table on St.Patrick’s week at the White House when the Brits come calling.
Shure we know our place now indeed.
15 - 74 | See all comments
- Michelle Obama and daughters trace their...
- President Obama’s visit to North comes at...
- Body of Irish immigrant tossed in medical...
- Former church spokesman criticised for using...
- Sinn Fein deputy leader speaks out against...
- Daily Mail unloads on 'drunken young' Paddys...
- Irish kids receive almost $700 in Holy Communio
- North’s Minister for Finance accuses Republic...
- Shock as Irish priest praises Prime Minister’s.
- The Irish are known for being friendly to...