British take over Obama White House on St.Patrick's week -- Irish celebration pushed back to after St.Patrick's Day
- Inquiries into pre-Good Friday Agreement Northern Ireland crimes must end
- “Philomena” a must-see movie that breaks your heart (VIDEO)
- What JFK’s America was really like in November 1963 - Time capsule of New York Daily News paper of the day
- An afternoon with Chuck Feeney, Irish America’s greatest hero
- How the Gaelic Players Association has saved lives in Ireland
|British Prime Minister David Cameron and President Barack Obama|
Begorrah, the Brits are stealing St.Patrick’s week 2012 at the White House from under us.
President Obama just announced an official visit and a state dinner for British Prime Minister David Cameron and wife Samantha on March 13th and 14th on St.Patrick’s week this year.
This might explain how the annual Irish St Pat’s celebration at the White House got bumped to after St.Patrick’s day, on the 20th of March to be precise, when the green bunting has long been taken down.
We were told originally it was because St.Patrick’s Day was on a Saturday and the Congress would not be in session etc. so the event at the White House was moved to Tuesday with the American Ireland Fund Gala Washington dinner set for Monday the 19th.
We thought it was a little strange, but being the compliant Paddies we are, we accepted the somewhat strange arrangements at face value.
Big Brother really is watching -- Irish tourist nabbed by US Government due to algorithm
Irish American NYPD cop shooter laughed and smiled on way to court – VIDEO
U2’s Bono set to become billionaire thanks to Facebook investment
We all know it is stale beer celebrating St.Patrick’s Day after the fact, but we just went with the flow.
But this freshly arrived press release shows the Brits moved right in on our celebrated week.
"President Obama and the First Lady will welcome Prime Minister David Cameron of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and his wife, Samantha Cameron, to the White House for an Official Visit with a State Dinner on March 13-14, 2012. The visit will highlight the fundamental importance of the U.S.-UK special relationship and the depth of the friendship between the American people and the people of the United Kingdom, as well as the strong personal bond that has developed between the two leaders and their families.
"It will also be an opportunity to recall the valor and sacrifice of the U.S. and British armed forces and their long tradition of standing shoulder-to-shoulder beside each other in defense of our liberties and shared values.
"The visit will underscore the strength of our economic links, which contribute to millions of jobs on both sides of the Atlantic. The Prime Minister’s visit will reciprocate the gracious hospitality shown to the President and Mrs. Obama by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Mr. and Mrs. Cameron, and the British people during the State Visit that was hosted by Queen Elizabeth II in May 2011.”
A state visit no less and bumping the Irish from the White House St. Patrick’s Week -- score one for Davy Cameron and the boys.
How many British voters are there in American elections again? Oh never mind-- the 40 million Irish Americans know their place-- and it is not at the top table on St.Patrick’s week at the White House when the Brits come calling.
Shure we know our place now indeed.
- Irish university suspends Legion of Mary...
- 4,000 Irish social welfare letters encourage...
- Notre Dame sues federal government again...
- Top ten worst ever Irish Christmas gifts,...
- Nelson Mandela showed us all what could be...
- Pope Francis calls capitalism “new tyranny”...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis'...
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Address by Nelson Mandela to Joint Houses...