Andrew Cuomo is the best politician in America right now by a country mile
- Profile in Irish fighting courage - Heffernan’s campaign for respite care for families dealing with fatal rare illnesses such as Batten’s disease
- Senator Schumer says Irish deserve a separate deal for visas because of 1965 shutout - Says “Schumer visas” set to give Ireland 10,500 visas a year for the future
- Prospects for immigration reform bill are 50-50 say the pols privately - House seen as major obstacle as Senate gets closer to a vote
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing on Pat Finucane death - New hearings told how informer was murdered before he could give evidence
- U.S. Tourism Ireland chief Joe Byrne says goodbye and hello again to massive acclaim - Popular Carlow native led tourist figures to Ireland to historic heights
Andrew Cuomo is the best politician in America right now and he is looking more and more like a player for the White House in 2016.
His ability to get things done is truly shocking. New York state has been essentially gridlocked for over a decade with Republicans and Democrats disagreeing on just about everything.
Enter Cuomo and suddenly the Red Sea has parted.
He came into power after two of the worst governors in New York history, Eliot Spitzer who was forced to resign over a sex scandal and David Patterson who was useless and ineffectual.
Cuomo has blazed a trail however.
First he forced lawmakers to admit and publicize their private business interests, halting an never ending scandal where they could take in millions anonymously.
Then he slashed the budget, delivered it on time, faced down the public unions and passed gay marriage.
All in the space of less than six months.
His management of the gay marriage bill was incredible. He lined up libertarian conservatives to support it, pledged to help any lawmaker with his re-election who supported it and that was only the beginning.
He also warned the gay lobby to get their act together after previous failures and even maintained a relationship with the Catholic Church on the issue, explaining to them what he was doing.
His experience working as Chief of Staff for his father has obviously given him a huge insight into how state politics works.
Now that he is in charge he is electrifying state government. Surely 2016 must loom like a lighthouse to him just now.
His father became known as Hamlet on the Hudson for his indecisiveness about running.
His son will have no such qualms. He has already built up a favor bank that could propel him to the White House as the first Italian American president.
If he keeps this up it looks a real prospect
- Enda Kenny, not the Catholic Church, speaks...
- $104 million Brian Boru biopic set to be...
- Irish ‘Mick’ fighter pilot was one of the...
- Nigerian migrants send $653 million a year...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing
- The top 100 Irish last names explained
- Award winning Irish documentary ‘Men at Lunch’.
- Planned Parenthood support for Irish leader...
- Gay porn priest is appointed to new parish...