Periscopeby Niall O'Dowd
- The Irish community returns to Hurricane Sandy hit Rockaways to aid ongoing recovery
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities by Irish immigrant support group - Boston-based Irish International Immigrant Center does the unspeakable
- Profile in Irish fighting courage - Heffernan’s campaign for respite care for families dealing with fatal rare illnesses such as Batten’s disease
- Senator Schumer says Irish deserve a separate deal for visas because of 1965 shutout - Says “Schumer visas” set to give Ireland 10,500 visas a year for the future
- Prospects for immigration reform bill are 50-50 say the pols privately - House seen as major obstacle as Senate gets closer to a vote
The ghosts of the men and women of 1916 will sleep easier this Halloween weekend knowing that Michael D. Higgins is the president who will preside over the centenary of the Easter Rising in 2016.
The newly elected president of Ireland is a poet like Padraig Pearse and Joseph Plunkett two of the signatories of the famous proclamation, the founding document of the Irish state.
He is a leading Labor figure like a third, James Connolly and the fact that he attained power with a powerful assist from Sinn Fein would no doubt be of great interest to that parties founders.
It will be the largest ever 'invasion' by US sports fans of Ireland.
The last time Notre Dame played in Ireland in 1995 only 4,000 or so fans traveled.
Kennedy was Public Relations & Advertising Manager
The wacky and weird Irish presidential race just got a whole Twilight Zone twist when the husband of Dana, alias Rosemary Scallon, a former gospel singer once based in America, claimed she had been the target of an assassination attempt.
Driving back to Dublin from the West of Ireland on Tuesday, a tire on the car blew out, and the couple narrowly escaped injury.
It was subsequently discovered the tire had fifteen knife puncture wounds and police were investigating and treating it as a crime.
The Irish Mail ran a story splashed across its front page reporting that a forced sexual encounter had been reported involving one of the main candidates.
The alleged incident was reported to a police station last week.
It took me me a while to get around to a remarkable book ‘Britain, Ireland and the Second World War’ written by the Scottish historian Ian S. Wood and published by Edinburgh University Press.
The book is extraordinary in its detail of how the poisoned relationship between the two countries almost led to a second British invasion during the Second World War.
Mitchell, the Fine Gael candidate has been the attack dog, backed by major elements of the Dublin media in going after McGuinness from Sinn Fein.
The level of vitriol has included possible impeachment if he is elected president to being arrested for his IRA past.
Back in 1984 in San Francisco I bought my first Macintosh.
It changed my life.
They appear to be desperate attempts to try and build law and order vote support for their candidate Gay Mitchell who is foundering in the opinion polls.
It may well end up not helping Mitchell and damaging Irish government and Irish American relationships.
The right-leaning Wall Street Journal has carried a series of articles pointing to Ireland’s improved economic figures and pointing out that austerity is working there.
However liberal economists such as The New York Times columnist Paul Krugman disagree with that analysis saying reports of an Irish recovery are way overblown,
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities
- Irishman John Downey arrested for 1982 IRA...
- Michael Flatley, star of Lord of the Dance...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- The top ten things I dislike about Irish...
- Did Pope Francis perform an exorcism at the...
- 'I expect terror attacks during G8 summit'...
- Nigerian migrants send $653 million a year...
- Top bishops clash over excommunication of...
- Violent attacks on gays in New York up 70...