Periscopeby Niall O'Dowd
- Recalling Irish America’s greatest moment: President Clinton’s first visit to Belfast
- Inquiries into pre-Good Friday Agreement Northern Ireland crimes must end
- “Philomena” a must-see movie that breaks your heart (VIDEO)
- What JFK’s America was really like in November 1963 - Time capsule of New York Daily News paper of the day
- An afternoon with Chuck Feeney, Irish America’s greatest hero
The Mayo town of Westport lies hard by the Atlantic Ocean almost as far westward as you can go, next stop America.
It was recently voted Ireland’s best place to live after a fierce competition in which Irish Times judges visited hundreds of spots around Ireland to compare to each other.
You drive out of Galway, on the Connemara road, and soon you take a step back in time as the years fall away and a strange yet familiar landscape emerges.
Suddenly you are in Ireland circa the late 1940s and the scenes and shots from "The Quiet Man" loom large.
Queen Elizabeth once met with Idi Amin, the butcher of Africa, who is believed to have been responsible for 300,000 deaths in his native Uganda.
She said nary a word at this meeting about the alleged atrocities, stories of which were circulating at the time, in 1971.
The Irish-born journalist Neil Munro who heckled President Obama yesterday in the Rose Garden displayed not only bad manners but also a lack of professionalism that should get him fired.
Munro’s Twitter feed says he was “Born Irish, then became a Cold War bridegroom” – whatever that means.
Is it really 25 years ago that the pressmen at the Evergreen Printing plant in Belmar, New Jersey pressed the button and started the presses on Volume 1 Number 1 of the Irish Voice?
I remember my mother and brother were there, and my best friend Eddie Holt and a bottle of champagne and a very late night....
20,000 Irish fans have swept overseas to Poland and the Ukraine to support their team in the European soccer championships.
By train, plane and car they flooded across Europe all week like the swallows of Capistrano returning to their natural habitat.
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist...
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Top ten negative terms used to describe Irish...
- Irish students told “No Irish Need Apply”...
- Bill O’Reilly slams Nelson Mandela as an...