Newt Gingrich is the real thing as Romney looks more like Elmer Fudd each passing day
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2011 at 05:15 AM
- Boston immigration center apologizes to young woman they turned in to U.S. authorities - “The IIIC is deeply sorry for the hurt and upset that this incident caused the young woman”
- The Irish community returns to Hurricane Sandy hit Rockaways to aid ongoing recovery
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities by Irish immigrant support group - Boston-based Irish International Immigrant Center does the unspeakable
- Profile in Irish fighting courage - Heffernan’s campaign for respite care for families dealing with fatal rare illnesses such as Batten’s disease
- Senator Schumer says Irish deserve a separate deal for visas because of 1965 shutout - Says “Schumer visas” set to give Ireland 10,500 visas a year for the future
Watching the Republican debate last night it really struck me forcefully.
Newt Gingrich is for real.
I fully expect him to win the Republican nomination.
Watching him in close combat with Romney I was reminded of the tortoise and the hare.
Romney had bolted to the front of the pack early but has never put his rivals away.
One by one they had their day in the sun coming close to him but eventually falling away.
Until Newt, the ultimate tortoise who was once so far behind that Romney could hardly glimpse him in the rear view mirror.
But there he was last night, big and bold, aiming deadly zingers at an increasingly flustered Romney who looks more and more like an Elmer Fudd.
Gingrich's line that Romney would have been a professional pol too if he had defeated Ted Kennedy in 1994 was the best line of the night
Romney's problem is that very few Republicans love him -- they tolerate him.
Newt on the other hand has a love/hate relationship going with most everyone.
He is fire to Romney's and indeed Obama's ice-- and he is all the better for that.
Sure there are times he puts his foot in it-- calling the Palestinians an invented people was too much even for the Israeli government.
But Republicans are beginning to sense that, for the knock down drag out fight they need to wage against Obama, Newt is much better placed to take the battle to him.
Like the hedgehog and the fox fable Gingrich is the hedgehog ---he knows one big thing, how to take the fight to Democrats as he did when he became House Speaker ending decades of Democratic rule.
Romney like the fox knows lots of other things but does not give off the impression that he is a true street fighter.
And that is undoubtedly true.
15 - 34 | See all comments
- Boston immigration center apologizes to young...
- Irishman John Downey arrested for 1982 IRA...
- Government minister calls for investigation...
- Justice Minister hangs on as Shattergate...
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- Amnesty International says Ireland’s abortion...
- New book ‘John F. Kennedy - Among the Germans’.
- Sleazy secrets and the American Dream of...
- ‘Quiet Man’ star Maureen O’Hara says John...