People and Politics by Patrick Roberts
Why do Irish media lynch mob want Cardinal Sean Brady to resign?-- Brady acted in good faith at the time investigating a notorious pedophile priest
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2012 at 08:24 AM
- Good Morning America says Sasha and Malia Obama bored stiff while in Ireland - Schedule heavy on history lectures and searching for ancient roots blamed - VIDEO
- Anti-Catholic rant against Notre Dame is nothing new for the Fighting Irish to face - Ohio State president slammed for “those damn Catholics” comments is latest in long line
- Donald Trump, the gift that keeps on giving to Democrats - Latest delusion about running for president continues the madness
- No U.S Ambassador to Ireland in place until September at least say insiders - No envoy in Dublin for Barack and Michelle Obama trip to Ireland in June
- Sen. Marco Rubio support now makes certain immigration bill will pass Senate - Bipartisan immigration reform now has an excellent chance of becoming law - VIDEO
|Cardinal Brady speaks to the media outside Armagh cathedral (Credit: Reuters)|
Back in 1975 Brady was given a job to report to the-then Bishop of Cavan, Francis McKiernan, on the findings of an ecclesiastical commission on the matter of Father Brendan Smyth, a known and notorious pedophile.
The BBC is now reporting that Brady was more than just a note taker as he claimed, but they do not dispute that he gave a full and complete account of the activities of Smyth to his superiors,
In other words, all sides agree that Brady collected the information then passed it on to his superiors.
He acted correctly in that respect. Those higher up who ignored his report and allowed Smyth to keep on abusing did not obviously.
With hindsight Brady is now being blamed for not following up on his own and exposing Smyth.
But we are talking about a time 37 years ago when church hegemony ruled Ireland and a junior priest like Brady at the time would never have spoken out of line with decisions made by princes of the church.
It was simply not done. Think of a buck private contradicting a general and you get some sense of where Brady was coming from at the time.
Could he have shown bravery and courage and kicked over the traces? Chances are he would have been buried and long since consigned to some distant and remote parish. Remember, at the time the power of the church was such that police alerted to pedophile priests did not arrest them in many cases.
Another abuse victim calls on Cardinal Brady to quit now in shame
Irish Deputy Prime Minister calls on Cardinal Sean Brady to resign over pedophile cover-up - VIDEO
Remember that the Irish government at the time was utterly complicit in the activities of the hierarchy and their carefully choreographed cover-ups. They allowed the church to run orphanages that were breeding grounds for pedophile priests and turned a blind eye.
When the heroic Father Flanagan, all the way from Boystown in Nebraska, tried to expose the activities in such institutions during a visit to his native Ireland a generation earlier, he was roundly criticized and told to go home by Irish politicians
A harsh word from an archbishop to a politician instantly drew him back in line.
So it was no surprise that Brady did not go out on a limb and attack his superiors for lack of action.
It may not be heroic, it may smack of craven behavior to many but Brady was no different than thousands of others who were unable to confront the corrupt system at the time.
Under Brady now the Catholic Church has become far more responsive on the issue and he has by all accounts done a fair job of securing the priesthood against any such future pedophile interlopers.
So let's not hang Brady to make a point. He has admitted he should have done more, we know why he didn’t so lets get on with it and ensure that kids are safe forever in the future instead of wasting vitriol on the past.
If Brady is fired then every complicit politician, clergyman, and policeman from that era has to be fired too.
15 - 32 | See all comments
the Latest #IRISHTRAVEL
- All Ireland Winners of the 2013 Irish Restaurant Awards...
- Two Irish chefs launch new All-Ireland Culinary tours business...
- Irish restaurant critic Ross Golden-Bannon launches pop-up artisan eatery...
- "First Woman Bishop" elected as one of Ireland's four main church leaders - VIDEO...
- Irish chefs Zack Gallagher and Wendy Kavanagh start new all-Ireland culinary tour business...
- Good Morning America says Sasha and Malia...
- Michelle Obama and daughters trace their...
- Former church spokesman criticised for using...
- Sinn Fein deputy leader speaks out against...
- President Obama’s visit to North comes at...
- Daily Mail unloads on 'drunken young' Paddys...
- Body of Irish immigrant tossed in medical...
- North’s Minister for Finance accuses Republic...
- Irish kids receive almost $700 in Holy Communio
- Shock as Irish priest praises Prime Minister’s.