Stop Press: New Yorkers don't like Muslims or Ground Zero mosque says new poll
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist by many Irish political leaders
- Obama relative gets personal special deal on immigration in Boston court
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis' legacy, says Irish theologian
- My top ten Thanksgiving turkeys for 2013
- Was Tony Blair cuckolding the “Dirty Digger” magnate Rupert Murdoch?
IN a huge blow for pro-Ground Zero mosque supporters a New York Times poll has revealed that two thirds of new Yorkers oppose locating it near the site.
Almost 60 per cent of people said they had negative feelings towards Muslims because of 9/11.
The poll reveals that coming up to the tenth anniversary of 9/11, new Yorkers still harbor deep emotions about that day and what it meant to them and the city.
If relatively liberal New York has come out so strongly against the Mosque then it certainly bodes ill for the project in the future.
It also shows that Mayor Mike Bloomberg's best efforts to sell the mosque to New Yorkers have fallen very short.
Twenty per cent of New Yorkers admitted animosity toward Muslims.
Thirty-three percent believe Muslims are more sympathetic to terrorists.
A whopping 60 percent said people they know hold negative feelings toward Muslims because of 9/11.
Over all, 50 percent of those surveyed outright oppose building the mosque while only thirty-five percent favor it.
As expected opposition is most evident in the outer boroughs but even Manhattanites are split with 41 per cent against it.
Personally I'm not surprised.
Anecdotally I can only recall a handful of New Yorkers I have spoke to who favor it. every one else thinks it is way too soon for this to happen.
Given what happened that awful day it is hard to blame them.
15 - 129 | See all comments
- Irish trafficker of rhino horns pleads guilty in New York...
- Your Voice, Your View: Have your say about IrishCentral's redesign...
- Irish Traveller family charged with kidnap and slavery over thirteen years ...
- Irish traveler charged over New York rhino horn sale...
- Irish puppy farm now a favorite destination for Hollywood A-listers...
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-p
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Offensive NFL sign outside restaurant just...
- Baby dies in horror birth at Belfast hospital...
- No Irish prosecution for man named as world’s...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.