Rush Limbaugh’s McCarthy moment at last
- Good Morning America says Sasha and Malia Obama bored stiff while in Ireland - Schedule heavy on history lectures and searching for ancient roots blamed - VIDEO
- Anti-Catholic rant against Notre Dame is nothing new for the Fighting Irish to face - Ohio State president slammed for “those damn Catholics” comments is latest in long line
- Donald Trump, the gift that keeps on giving to Democrats - Latest delusion about running for president continues the madness
- No U.S Ambassador to Ireland in place until September at least say insiders - No envoy in Dublin for Barack and Michelle Obama trip to Ireland in June
- Sen. Marco Rubio support now makes certain immigration bill will pass Senate - Bipartisan immigration reform now has an excellent chance of becoming law - VIDEO
Rush Limbaugh has four wives, the latest a thirtysomething year old who I’m sure loves him dearly for his extraordinary physique, and not his oceanfront Palm Beach mansion.
He’s also an admitted pill addict who nonetheless insists on lecturing to the rest of the world about matters of morals and human behavior.
Rush and Newt Gingrich share the same blind spot, the inability to connect the dots between their own scandalous private lives and the moralizing they carry on with in public.
This time Limbaugh has gone too far. His assault on a young woman, Sandra Fluke, defending contraceptive rights, when he called her a slut and a prostitute, was so personal that even the most hardcore Rush fans blanched.
He’s the greatest living Irishman – and no, he’s not a movie star or a famous politician --- Archbishop Diarmuid Martin richly deserves the title
Irish American Andrew Breitbart, was a General in the conservative movement
The immediate impact was companies pulling their advertising from his top-rated radio show, and a nationwide move to boycott his program.
Amazingly, it has had the desired effect.
Limbaugh was clearly facing disaster over his comments, and has now rowed back from them in the most humiliating fashion possible for him.
Maureen Dowd, in her column in Sunday’s “New York Times,” asked a key question – does Rush Limbaugh have any shame?
The surprising answer to me and many others, is that he does – especially when his rich livelihood is threatened.
Limbaugh has refused to apologize for so many evil comments in the past that it comes as a seismic shock that he was forced to do so on this occasion.
It is his Joe McCarthy moment, the instance where a U.S. Army officer asked McCarthy at a hearing if he had any shame in blindly accusing so many innocent people of sedition and Communist sympathies.
Limbaugh has now reached that seminal moment himself, and the amazing fact is that Fluke, a 30-year-old Georgetown University law student, utterly unknown until a few days ago, is the person who brought him to his knees.
It was obvious when President Obama called Fluke to sympathize with her that public opinion had begun to flow hugely against Limbaugh.
In the best spirit of American politics, Obama decided to kick Limbaugh while he was down, and succeeded in extending the crisis by his call to Fluke.
It was a masterful stroke, and the exact opposite of that pander bear, Mitt Romney, who when asked about Limbaugh’s comments said he merely felt that Rush used a poor choice of words.
A poor choice indeed, and one that will haunt Limbaugh for the foreseeable future.
Finally the dragon has been bearded in his den, and Limbaugh may not recover from this blow.
If that is the end result, and a more civil discourse begins in American politics, this will be a great development.
Limbaugh has been humbled, but whether he is defeated remains to be seen.
the Latest #IRISHTRAVEL
- All Ireland Winners of the 2013 Irish Restaurant Awards...
- Two Irish chefs launch new All-Ireland Culinary tours business...
- Irish restaurant critic Ross Golden-Bannon launches pop-up artisan eatery...
- "First Woman Bishop" elected as one of Ireland's four main church leaders - VIDEO...
- Irish chefs Zack Gallagher and Wendy Kavanagh start new all-Ireland culinary tour business...
- Good Morning America says Sasha and Malia...
- Former church spokesman criticised for using...
- Sinn Fein deputy leader speaks out against...
- Dating website for ‘homosensible’ Catholic...
- Michelle Obama and daughters visit Glendalough.
- Michelle Obama and daughters trace their...
- American dance teacher and Ulster husband...
- President Obama’s visit to North comes at...
- Daily Mail unloads on 'drunken young' Paddys...
- Obama under fire for turning G8 summit into...