People and Politics by Patrick Roberts
Ron Paul may run as Libertarian after Iowa because of massive youth support
Posted on Wednesday, January 04, 2012 at 03:26 AM
- Obama relative gets personal special deal on immigration in Boston court
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis' legacy, says Irish theologian
- My top ten Thanksgiving turkeys for 2013
- Was Tony Blair cuckolding the “Dirty Digger” magnate Rupert Murdoch?
- GOP overplays its hand and Harry Reid pounces
He finished a close third in Iowa but is effectively out of the race.
He has proven, however, that young people will flock to him as he utterly dominated the under 40 vote in the Iowa caucus.
The enthusiasm gap is real for Republicans. Only 120,000 took part in the Iowa caucuses down from 180,000 four years ago.
That is a stunning drop.
That is also bad news for Mitt Romney who eked out a victory in Iowa but has that warmed over feel for many voters.
More US political news from IrishCentral
US sent guns and spy gear to discredited Northern Irish police despite ban
Joseph Kennedy III likely to run for Congress say family sources- VIDEO
--------------- Paul will be very tempted to run on the Libertarian line and could ignite a passionate following of young people like what Barack Obama did in 2008.
He has deserted the GOP before to run as a Libertarian. In 1988 he got close to a half million votes.
He would do enormously better this year were he to run.
The enthusiasm gap for Mitt Romney among not just young people but party conservatives generally makes it entirely possible that Paul will make a bid from the right.
The demise of Rick Perry has certainly opened a door for someone from that flank of the party.
Romney looks unstoppable now because of his money advantage,
But Paul could still play a powerful role going forward.
the Latest #IRISHTRAVEL
- Irish trafficker of rhino horns pleads guilty in New York...
- Your Voice, Your View: Have your say about IrishCentral's redesign...
- Irish Traveller family charged with kidnap and slavery over thirteen years ...
- Irish traveler charged over New York rhino horn sale...
- Irish puppy farm now a favorite destination for Hollywood A-listers...
- Notre Dame sues federal government again...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Caroline Kennedy “selfie” in Japan reveals...
- Smithwick inquiry finds Irish police may...
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis'...
- Ireland wins top spot on Forbes’ Best Countries
- Why Ireland needs to give its emigrants a...
- Pope Francis calls capitalism “new tyranny”...
- Sarah Jessica Parker opens her heart to grievin