People and Politics by Patrick Roberts
Romney victory would be good news for Hillary Clinton White House bid in 2016 - Age issue fades and easier to run against Republican incumbent
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2012 at 08:15 AM
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist by many Irish political leaders
- Obama relative gets personal special deal on immigration in Boston court
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis' legacy, says Irish theologian
- My top ten Thanksgiving turkeys for 2013
- Was Tony Blair cuckolding the “Dirty Digger” magnate Rupert Murdoch?
|Mitt Romney and Hillary Clinton|
Whisper it, but a victory for Mitt Romney would be very good news for Hillary Clinton if she still has ambitions to be president.
The main reason is the age issue – Hillary will be 69 in 2016 but so too will Mitt Romney, taking that particular question off the table.
If it was say, Hillary against Paul Ryan if Obama wins, then there is a clear generational gap that would play to the younger candidate’s strength.
Hillary will take her time deciding but it becomes a far more attractive proposition against a sitting Republican president.
The other way it helps Hillary is that she would not be seeking the third successive term for a Democrat if Obama is re-elected. The fatigue factor would be in play in such circumstances.
In such a closely divided country the prospect of three successive terms for one party is hard to see.
Hillary will review all her options come November and there are no shortage of candidates who will be doing the same.
If Obama wins, expect Chris Christie to start throwing shapes.
A word of caution though, watching Christie with Romney in Ohio the other day, it became apparent that he has to do something about his weight.
He is not just overweight, he is severely obese, and irrespective of political correctness on this issue, I would be fearful for his health being that overweight – and so will every voter if his candidacy ever comes about.
the Latest #IRISHTRAVEL
- Irish trafficker of rhino horns pleads guilty in New York...
- Your Voice, Your View: Have your say about IrishCentral's redesign...
- Irish Traveller family charged with kidnap and slavery over thirteen years ...
- Irish traveler charged over New York rhino horn sale...
- Irish puppy farm now a favorite destination for Hollywood A-listers...
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Baby dies in horror birth at Belfast hospital...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas