People and Politics by Patrick Roberts
Mike Bloomberg’s love triangle with Hillary Clinton and Christine Quinn -- Did Hillary Clinton dilly-dally suggest a new love for Mayor Bloomberg?
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2012 at 07:07 AM
- No U.S Ambassador to Ireland in place until September at least say insiders - No envoy in Dublin for Barack and Michelle Obama trip to Ireland in June
- Sen. Marco Rubio support now makes certain immigration bill will pass Senate - Bipartisan immigration reform now has an excellent chance of becoming law - VIDEO
- Senator Chris Murphy, a political star is born over N.R.A. and gun issue - NY Times’ Maureen Dowd hails a new voice in the battle against more guns
- Hillary is definitely running for president says Maureen Dowd in her NY Times column - Urges Clinton to leave her troubling dark side behind for her 2016 run
- Is Senator Marco Rubio now trying to kill immigration reform after first supporting it? - Latest objections could mean he has turned rail on achieving immigration breakthrough
|Christine Quinn (Spencer Platt/Getty Images) | Hillary Clinton (credit: Feng Li/Getty Images) |
Mayor Michael Bloomberg (credit: Win McNamee/Getty Images)
He loves her, he loves her not.
Most folks had assumed the fix was in for Moneybags Michael Bloomberg and next year’s mayoral election race. He would stand by City Council President Christine Quinn as she made her historic effort to be the first female and openly gay mayor.
After all Quinn has had Bloomberg’s back, covered him for his run for third time Mayor, carried his water in City Council clashes.
Their friendship seemed as watertight as an ocean liner -- unless that liner is the Titanic, which Quinn’s grandmother sailed from Ireland on.
She escaped when others drowned and her granddaughter seemed destined for great things, leading the polls for mayor by a street, the all powerful Mayor behind her.
But now a hint of betrayal.
Michael began secretly calling Hillary Clinton, the much admired former New York senator from these parts who is retiring from her job as Secretary of State.
Bloomberg recently surprised Hillary - who is widely considered to be a frontrunner in the 2016 presidential race - by suggesting she enter the 2013 mayor's race in New York City instead.
Read more US politics news here
According to the Huffington Post, in a telephone call to Clinton, Bloomberg laid it on thick and encouraged her to consider entering the mayor's race, exchanging her recent international diplomacy skills for hands on management of one of the world's great cities.
Poor Christine when she heard the news was fit to roast the mayor’s weiner on his own barbecue. All that loyalty and trust and he was leaving her for her good friend Hillary?
Her rage knew no bounds, close associates say. How dare he jilt her.
In the most recent poll, which was held in August, Quinn held a commanding lead over all other likely Democratic candidates -- and here was Bloomberg throwing a wrench in the works.
But yesterday it seemed there was a kiss and make-up and Bloomie swore there was never anything to the Hillary dilly dally. Christine her face as aflame as her red hair even praised Hillary saying she’d make a great mayor -- some day.
But a restless billionaire mayor is a tricky proposition for the City Council president. Especially as she is depending on him to underwrite many fundraisers for her campaign.
So was the mayor just flirting or actually looking? Hillary turned him down but will be the next suitor?
Bloomberg's final term as mayor will end on December 31, 2013, and there's much speculation about what he'll do next.
What he will do now is suddenly back on the table too.
the Latest #IRISHTRAVEL
- Irish chefs Zack Gallagher and Wendy Kavanagh start new all-Ireland culinary tour business...
- Today's Irish news roundup...
- Elderly Irishman decribes being kept in servitude for six years by Irish Travellers gang...
- Travel chaos across Ireland as bus drivers go ahead with strike action...
- Today's Irish news roundup...
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities
- Irishman John Downey arrested for 1982 IRA...
- Michael Flatley, star of Lord of the Dance...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- The top ten things I dislike about Irish...
- Did Pope Francis perform an exorcism at the...
- 'I expect terror attacks during G8 summit'...
- Nigerian migrants send $653 million a year...
- Top bishops clash over excommunication of...
- Violent attacks on gays in New York up 70...