People and Politics by Patrick Roberts
Mike Bloomberg’s love triangle with Hillary Clinton and Christine Quinn -- Did Hillary Clinton dilly-dally suggest a new love for Mayor Bloomberg?
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2012 at 07:07 AM
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist by many Irish political leaders
- Obama relative gets personal special deal on immigration in Boston court
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis' legacy, says Irish theologian
- My top ten Thanksgiving turkeys for 2013
- Was Tony Blair cuckolding the “Dirty Digger” magnate Rupert Murdoch?
|Christine Quinn (Spencer Platt/Getty Images) | Hillary Clinton (credit: Feng Li/Getty Images) |
Mayor Michael Bloomberg (credit: Win McNamee/Getty Images)
He loves her, he loves her not.
Most folks had assumed the fix was in for Moneybags Michael Bloomberg and next year’s mayoral election race. He would stand by City Council President Christine Quinn as she made her historic effort to be the first female and openly gay mayor.
After all Quinn has had Bloomberg’s back, covered him for his run for third time Mayor, carried his water in City Council clashes.
Their friendship seemed as watertight as an ocean liner -- unless that liner is the Titanic, which Quinn’s grandmother sailed from Ireland on.
She escaped when others drowned and her granddaughter seemed destined for great things, leading the polls for mayor by a street, the all powerful Mayor behind her.
But now a hint of betrayal.
Michael began secretly calling Hillary Clinton, the much admired former New York senator from these parts who is retiring from her job as Secretary of State.
Bloomberg recently surprised Hillary - who is widely considered to be a frontrunner in the 2016 presidential race - by suggesting she enter the 2013 mayor's race in New York City instead.
Read more US politics news here
According to the Huffington Post, in a telephone call to Clinton, Bloomberg laid it on thick and encouraged her to consider entering the mayor's race, exchanging her recent international diplomacy skills for hands on management of one of the world's great cities.
Poor Christine when she heard the news was fit to roast the mayor’s weiner on his own barbecue. All that loyalty and trust and he was leaving her for her good friend Hillary?
Her rage knew no bounds, close associates say. How dare he jilt her.
In the most recent poll, which was held in August, Quinn held a commanding lead over all other likely Democratic candidates -- and here was Bloomberg throwing a wrench in the works.
But yesterday it seemed there was a kiss and make-up and Bloomie swore there was never anything to the Hillary dilly dally. Christine her face as aflame as her red hair even praised Hillary saying she’d make a great mayor -- some day.
But a restless billionaire mayor is a tricky proposition for the City Council president. Especially as she is depending on him to underwrite many fundraisers for her campaign.
So was the mayor just flirting or actually looking? Hillary turned him down but will be the next suitor?
Bloomberg's final term as mayor will end on December 31, 2013, and there's much speculation about what he'll do next.
What he will do now is suddenly back on the table too.
the Latest #IRISHTRAVEL
- Irish trafficker of rhino horns pleads guilty in New York...
- Your Voice, Your View: Have your say about IrishCentral's redesign...
- Irish Traveller family charged with kidnap and slavery over thirteen years ...
- Irish traveler charged over New York rhino horn sale...
- Irish puppy farm now a favorite destination for Hollywood A-listers...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Irish drugs mule to escape full trial and...
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- Top Christmas Irish ads that will be bring...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...