People and Politics by Patrick Roberts
Man sent to trial in Limerick dog sex case where woman died of an allergic reaction
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 at 07:40 AM
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist by many Irish political leaders
- Obama relative gets personal special deal on immigration in Boston court
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis' legacy, says Irish theologian
- My top ten Thanksgiving turkeys for 2013
- Was Tony Blair cuckolding the “Dirty Digger” magnate Rupert Murdoch?
The most bizarre case in Irish law went to court in Limerick yesterday.
The defendant was named as Sean McDonnell, a 57-year-old bus driver whose German Shepherd dog had sex with a women McDonnell met on a bestiality chat line.
The house where the incident occurred is pictured
He appeared in court with his daughter and was given free legal aid
The woman later died from an allergic reaction to the dog's semen.
It is the most bizarre case, but one that is gripping many in Ireland given its popularity as the most read on several news sites including the august Irish Times.
McDonnell's offense occurred on October 7th 2008 when the woman came to his house and the incident occurred.
She was rushed to hospital in Limerick a few hours after but died.
He is being tried under a centuries old law forbidding sex between animals and humans.
He is the first ever prosecution in such a case.
Police Inspector Jerry Horan told the court the Director of Public Prosecutions had fixed the trial for Limerick in September.
It promises to be a media circus when it happens.
The dog has been held in police custody ever since the incident
the Latest #IRISHTRAVEL
- Irish trafficker of rhino horns pleads guilty in New York...
- Your Voice, Your View: Have your say about IrishCentral's redesign...
- Irish Traveller family charged with kidnap and slavery over thirteen years ...
- Irish traveler charged over New York rhino horn sale...
- Irish puppy farm now a favorite destination for Hollywood A-listers...
- The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-p
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Spanish judge slams Ryanair’s sexist air...
- Bah! Humbug! The ten worst things about Christm
- No Irish prosecution for man named as world’s...
- Offensive NFL sign outside restaurant just...
- Ireland crowned “Top Tourist Destination”...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra