People and Politics by Patrick Roberts
Judge's ruling on Arizona immigration law a great one
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 at 05:06 PM
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist by many Irish political leaders
- Obama relative gets personal special deal on immigration in Boston court
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis' legacy, says Irish theologian
- My top ten Thanksgiving turkeys for 2013
- Was Tony Blair cuckolding the “Dirty Digger” magnate Rupert Murdoch?
Judge Susan Bolton is a wise woman. Her decision on the Arizona immigration law is exactly the correct one.
What American could possibly disagree with her comment that “There is a substantial likelihood that officers will wrongfully arrest legal resident aliens” ?
“By enforcing this statute, Arizona would impose a ‘distinct, unusual and extraordinary’ burden on legal resident aliens that only the federal government has the authority to impose.” the judge said
Governor Jan Brewer,(pictured above) a certified immigrant basher who makes up facts and figures to suit her own narrative (headless bodies found in desert anyone?) disagreed of course.
“I am disappointed by Judge Susan Bolton’s ruling,” said Brewer. “This fight is far from over. In fact, it is just the beginning, and at the end of what is certain to be a long legal struggle, Arizona will prevail in its right to protect our citizens.
“I have consulted with my legal counsel about our next steps. We will take a close look at every single element Judge Bolton removed from the law, and we will soon file an expedited appeal at the United States Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit.”
The Justice Department has argued well that asking local police to make immigration checks went too far. They said that the law would lead to harassment of legal residents and damage relations with Mexico and other countries which the United States relies on for cooperation with law enforcement.
Terry Goodard,a leading Democrat in the state had it right when he said
“Rather than providing the leadership Arizona needs to solve the immigration problem, Jan Brewer signed a bill she could not defend in court which has led to boycotts, jeopardized our tourism industry and polarized our state.”
15 - 52 | See all comments
the Latest #IRISHTRAVEL
- Irish trafficker of rhino horns pleads guilty in New York...
- Your Voice, Your View: Have your say about IrishCentral's redesign...
- Irish Traveller family charged with kidnap and slavery over thirteen years ...
- Irish traveler charged over New York rhino horn sale...
- Irish puppy farm now a favorite destination for Hollywood A-listers...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Bono, Gerry Adams, President Higgins all...