People and Politics by Patrick Roberts
Irish finance minister will print t-shirts saying 'We're not Greece' - Novel way to show differences in economic crisis
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2011 at 12:55 PM
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist by many Irish political leaders
- Obama relative gets personal special deal on immigration in Boston court
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis' legacy, says Irish theologian
- My top ten Thanksgiving turkeys for 2013
- Was Tony Blair cuckolding the “Dirty Digger” magnate Rupert Murdoch?
He says he is considering he’s getting T-shirts printed that say “Ireland is not Greece” in an effort to distance Ireland from other debt-burdened nations.
“We won’t give them away, we’ll sell them,” Noonan said at an event in Dublin today. Monetary Fund.
Noonan spoke against a background of worries that investors are not differentiating between Ireland's position and the Greek one.
Bloomberg reported that The yield premium on Irish 10-year debt and German bunds, Europe’s benchmark, widened to a record 894 basis points on Thursday. The premium on Greece’s debt is at 1,398 basis points.
After previously been compared to Iceland, Ireland is now trying to avoid comparisons with Greece which is facing a major financial and political crisis.
“We have a very strong mandate and we have the support on issues from the opposition,” Noonan said on June 16, referring to Ireland’s coalition government. “Greece is entirely different. There seems to be no cross-party support.”
Meanwhile Irish leader Enda Kenny criticized the media for constantly asking why he won't ask French president Sarkozy for relief in the rate of Ireland's debt repayments.
“What do you want me to do? Ring up the Elysee and say, ‘I’m here, I need to speak to you,’” he told reporters.
New poll shows voters can’t see progress on key economic plans for Ireland
John Spain: A gutless first 100 days for new Irish government
Exclusive interview: Ireland’s Finance Minister talks economics & immigration
the Latest #IRISHTRAVEL
- Irish trafficker of rhino horns pleads guilty in New York...
- Your Voice, Your View: Have your say about IrishCentral's redesign...
- Irish Traveller family charged with kidnap and slavery over thirteen years ...
- Irish traveler charged over New York rhino horn sale...
- Irish puppy farm now a favorite destination for Hollywood A-listers...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Irish drugs mule to escape full trial and...
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Top Christmas Irish ads that will be bring...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...