People and Politics by Patrick Roberts
Historic poll as Labour Party now most popular in Ireland
Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2010 at 10:20 PM
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist by many Irish political leaders
- Obama relative gets personal special deal on immigration in Boston court
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis' legacy, says Irish theologian
- My top ten Thanksgiving turkeys for 2013
- Was Tony Blair cuckolding the “Dirty Digger” magnate Rupert Murdoch?
The Irish Labour party is now the largest party in Ireland a sensational new poll has revealed.
It is the first time in the history of the state that Labour has polled as the largest party.
The Irish Times poll shows that Labour are on 32 per cent, up eight from the last poll in January, Fine Gael are on 28 per cent down four points and Fianna Fail are back on 17 per cent, their lowest showing ever.
Labor's surge is down to party leader Eamon Gilmore who is far more popular than either Prime Minister Brian Cowen or Fine Gael leader Enda Kenny.
Gilmore is at 46 per cent approval, while Kenny is at just 24 per cent and Cowen is on 18 per cent.
If the current trend were followed in a national election, Labour wold sweep into power and Gilmore would be the first ever Labor leader elected Prime Minster.
Other parties results showed a small rise for Sinn Fein to nine per cent, the junior party in the government the Greens at 3 per cent, and independents around seven per cent.
The combined government vote is now just 20 per cent which appears to make it unlikely the government can last through to 2012 when the life of the current parliament will be over.
Indeed, Fine Gael have a motion of no confidence in the government laid down for Tuesday.
It is considered unlikely to succeed.
Fine Gael, which have long been considered the government in waiting will be bitterly disappointed with this poll result.
It will raise further questions about party leader Enda Kenny who has fallen dramatically in popularity between polls
the Latest #IRISHTRAVEL
- Irish trafficker of rhino horns pleads guilty in New York...
- Your Voice, Your View: Have your say about IrishCentral's redesign...
- Irish Traveller family charged with kidnap and slavery over thirteen years ...
- Irish traveler charged over New York rhino horn sale...
- Irish puppy farm now a favorite destination for Hollywood A-listers...
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- Bill O’Reilly slams Nelson Mandela as an...