People and Politics by Patrick Roberts
Hillary’s serious illness changes everything in 2016 presidential race
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2013 at 06:19 AM
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist by many Irish political leaders
- Obama relative gets personal special deal on immigration in Boston court
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis' legacy, says Irish theologian
- My top ten Thanksgiving turkeys for 2013
- Was Tony Blair cuckolding the “Dirty Digger” magnate Rupert Murdoch?
|Hillary Clinton (AP)|
At 65 she has been struck with an illness that doctors agree is a serious one and that could have caused a major stroke.
A blood clot in an area close to the brain is not good news for anyone, but especially someone who is the winter favorite for the 2016 nomination.
If this were a horse race I’d say Hillary Clinton is far more likely to scratch than to line up in the Democratic demolition derby in 2015 or so for the 2016 nomination.
She will be close to 70 then, but unlike the woman with the robust health record and seemingly tireless political persona, she is now a weakened candidate with a major health question looming over her.
Another illness of this kind between now and then will certainly rule her out and it seems certain that her opponents and the media will ensure that her health is an issue.
But for Hillary herself the illness will surely make her stand back and think.
There are few things more sobering than a glimpse of your mortality and she has certainly seen that.
Will she have the stamina and commitment to come to the races in four years time full of the same energy she expended in 2008?
That hardly seems likely. It will be her decision I know but the events of the past week will certainly shade how she decides.
Me? I’m betting it is a thumbs down, a feeling that she has done more than enough in a spectacular political life and it is time to leave the field to the next generation.
And that will set off the political scramble of a lifetime among Democrat wannabees if and when it happens. See more: Irish in US Politics
the Latest #IRISHTRAVEL
- Irish trafficker of rhino horns pleads guilty in New York...
- Your Voice, Your View: Have your say about IrishCentral's redesign...
- Irish Traveller family charged with kidnap and slavery over thirteen years ...
- Irish traveler charged over New York rhino horn sale...
- Irish puppy farm now a favorite destination for Hollywood A-listers...
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Baby dies in horror birth at Belfast hospital...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas