People and Politics by Patrick Roberts
Gordon Brown will lose British election after 'bigoted' gaffe
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 at 07:49 PM
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist by many Irish political leaders
- Obama relative gets personal special deal on immigration in Boston court
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis' legacy, says Irish theologian
- My top ten Thanksgiving turkeys for 2013
- Was Tony Blair cuckolding the “Dirty Digger” magnate Rupert Murdoch?
Gordon Brown has just blown his chance of becoming Prime Minister again by forgetting one of the cardinal rules of politics -- never speak your mind when in the vicinity of microphones.
Gillian Duffy , 65, a retired grandmother came across Brown on the streets of Rochdale , near Manchester where he was campaigning.T he British general election is May 6th
She explained that she had been a life long Labor supporter but she was fed up of the party now and asked him some very sharp questions including what was he doing about immigration.
Brown answered them all in seeming good form but then back in his car he did not realize a TV news microphone was still attached to his lapel.
"That was a disaster" he said blaming a junior staffer for the encounter, even though it seemed to have been completely random.
He referred to Duffy as "a bigoted woman" which she certainly was not, merely a concerned older voter worried about the country her two grandchildren were growing up in.
Brown immediately recognized the impact of the gaffe and headed straight back to Rochdale and sat with Mrs Duffy and emerged from her home to say he had been forgiven.
But it all came too late. It was front page and headline news everywhere, and it played into the most damaging view of Brown of all that he is a a bully who is deeply unpleasant to his staff and has little sense of the concerns or worries of ordinary people because he has been in power so long.
It is the most damaging of all blows, just a week before the election and Labor were already lagging.
It now seems certain that David Cameron will be the next Prime Minister.
the Latest #IRISHTRAVEL
- Irish trafficker of rhino horns pleads guilty in New York...
- Your Voice, Your View: Have your say about IrishCentral's redesign...
- Irish Traveller family charged with kidnap and slavery over thirteen years ...
- Irish traveler charged over New York rhino horn sale...
- Irish puppy farm now a favorite destination for Hollywood A-listers...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- Top Christmas Irish ads that will be bring...