People and Politics by Patrick Roberts
CNN’s Piers Morgan speaks the truth to Americans on gun control -- America needs to hear the way the rest of the world thinks
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2012 at 06:54 AM
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist by many Irish political leaders
- Obama relative gets personal special deal on immigration in Boston court
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis' legacy, says Irish theologian
- My top ten Thanksgiving turkeys for 2013
- Was Tony Blair cuckolding the “Dirty Digger” magnate Rupert Murdoch?
|Piers Morgan (John Shearer/WireImage)|
Morgan, reflecting the incredulity of non-Americans worldwide, has spoke out forthrightly and clearly on the madness of the lack of gun control laws in America.
Other commentators, afraid perhaps of the mighty muscle of the NRA, have hedged or pulled their punches on this issue even after the massacre of the innocents in Newtown.
Not Morgan, who is outspoken to begin with, and now he is being targeted by NRA members who want him deported.
They have gathered about 60,000 signatures for their petition, which states: “British Citizen and CNN television host Piers Morgan is engaged in a hostile attack against the U.S. Constitution by targeting the Second Amendment. We demand that Mr. Morgan be deported immediately for his effort to undermine the Bill of Rights and for exploiting his position as a national network television host to stage attacks against the rights of American citizens.”
Morgan’s crime was to make statements like this: "Why on Earth would you want more guns in schools after what's happened today?"
He has called the argument for more guns stupid, "This is exactly the argument that I have been hearing ever since I joined CNN," he noted. "The argument I keep hearing is 'well if everybody else was armed, it wouldn't happen.' It's a load of total hogwash!"
Sometimes it takes an outsider to tell the truth in any society and Morgan is clearly doing this here.
Over Christmas a madman shot two firemen dead in upstate New York, a man who had already murdered and yet was able to easily obtain weapons.
When will the madness stop?
As long as hosts like Piers Morgan speak out there is a possibility. But if Americans want to act like ostriches on the gun issue we can only hope there is not another savage school shooting in our near future.
I wouldn’t bet on it unfortunately.
the Latest #IRISHTRAVEL
- Irish trafficker of rhino horns pleads guilty in New York...
- Your Voice, Your View: Have your say about IrishCentral's redesign...
- Irish Traveller family charged with kidnap and slavery over thirteen years ...
- Irish traveler charged over New York rhino horn sale...
- Irish puppy farm now a favorite destination for Hollywood A-listers...
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- Bill O’Reilly slams Nelson Mandela as an...