People and Politics by Patrick Roberts
Chile miner rescue the good news story of the decade - VIDEO
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 at 11:56 PM
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist by many Irish political leaders
- Obama relative gets personal special deal on immigration in Boston court
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis' legacy, says Irish theologian
- My top ten Thanksgiving turkeys for 2013
- Was Tony Blair cuckolding the “Dirty Digger” magnate Rupert Murdoch?
What human being alive could not feel an enormous surge of humanity and gratitude when miner Florencio Avalaos was brought to the surface from 2,400 feet below the surface in Chile?
The hug with his wife and child was the greatest news moment of the year perhaps the decade
There are indeed times when we are the world, all of us, not countries or continents, but human beings alone on a planet.
Looking on the face of the young son of Florencio Avalos as he awaited his father's rescue you could not but be touched to the the core of your soul as to the depth of the extraordinary emotion of the families
The cries were 'Chile, Chile' but hey just as well may have been for all of humanity.
With such a dearth of good news in this world of ours, it was magnificent to see man overcome an incredible challenge such as rescuing miners thousands of feet in the ground.
We can only imagine what it was like to spend 69 days under the earth that kept them prisoner
For seventeen of those days they were cut off from the world, alone and completely at the mercy of the operation to rescue them.
After seventeen days almost everyone except the families themselves believed that they were dead in the mine collapse.
Yet somehow they survived and when the drill came back to the surface with a note attached from the miners that read "33 of us all alive" the whole world rejoiced in the sheer incredulity of it all.
The operation to rescue them was global with Americans providing much of the expertise that led to the time needed to rescue them being cut in half.
But in the end it was all mankind that could rejoice.
A rare moment when we were all the world.
the Latest #IRISHTRAVEL
- Irish trafficker of rhino horns pleads guilty in New York...
- Your Voice, Your View: Have your say about IrishCentral's redesign...
- Irish Traveller family charged with kidnap and slavery over thirteen years ...
- Irish traveler charged over New York rhino horn sale...
- Irish puppy farm now a favorite destination for Hollywood A-listers...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Top ten negative terms used to describe Irish...
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
- Photo shows Irish revolutionaries three years...