People and Politics by Patrick Roberts
Can Mike Bloomberg keep Barack Obama honest on new gun laws? -- Obama’s speech in Newtown reveals he has got the message - for now
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2012 at 07:28 AM
- No U.S Ambassador to Ireland in place until September at least say insiders - No envoy in Dublin for Barack and Michelle Obama trip to Ireland in June
- Sen. Marco Rubio support now makes certain immigration bill will pass Senate - Bipartisan immigration reform now has an excellent chance of becoming law - VIDEO
- Senator Chris Murphy, a political star is born over N.R.A. and gun issue - NY Times’ Maureen Dowd hails a new voice in the battle against more guns
- Hillary is definitely running for president says Maureen Dowd in her NY Times column - Urges Clinton to leave her troubling dark side behind for her 2016 run
- Is Senator Marco Rubio now trying to kill immigration reform after first supporting it? - Latest objections could mean he has turned rail on achieving immigration breakthrough
|New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg on NBC's "Meet the Press" (Photo:NBC)|
The bodies of the little ones and adults killed in Newtown are hardly cold and already we are hearing the weasel words of the gun lobby about how kindergarten teachers should be armed and people kill people not guns.
This time however we see an enormous revulsion across the country against the insane unregulated market in guns for madmen, psychopaths, and the deranged that exists in the U.S.
Read More: Gun toll; America 9,369 dead, Great Britain 14 -- get the picture? Obama should attend all the funerals in Newtown after massacre
Fortunately we have a powerful champion of gun control in Mike Bloomberg, “It’s time for the president to stand up and lead,” he said on NBC’s ‘Meet the Press.’
“This should be his No. 1 agenda. He’s President of the United States. And if he does nothing during his second term, something like 48,000 Americans will be killed with illegal guns in the next year.”
“The president has to translate those views into action,” he said. “His job is not just to be well-meaning. His job is to perform and to protect the American public.”
Well said, and the American people are with Bloomberg on this.
Obama even seemed to stiffen his resolve during his massively well received Newtown speech with his biographer David Maraniss calling it his “Gettysburg Address.”
“We can’t tolerate this anymore,” he said. “These tragedies must end. And to end them, we must change.”
“I’ll use whatever power this office holds to engage my fellow citizens,” he said, “in an effort aimed at preventing more tragedies like this. Because what choice do we have?”
What choice indeed, if we want to see our children safer and our country exposed to ridicule for our utterly lax gun laws?
Read More: Anne Marie Murphy died ‘serving children and serving God’ in Newtown tragedy
As Nicholas Kristoff reported in The New York Times, there are more regulations governing how ladders are used than how guns are bought.
30 people died last year from ladder related falls. 10,000 died from gunshot wounds.
Mike Bloomberg has the money, the mission, and the drive to keep Obama honest on this issue.
Let’s hope he succeeds.
the Latest #IRISHTRAVEL
- Irish chefs Zack Gallagher and Wendy Kavanagh start new all-Ireland culinary tour business...
- Today's Irish news roundup...
- Elderly Irishman decribes being kept in servitude for six years by Irish Travellers gang...
- Travel chaos across Ireland as bus drivers go ahead with strike action...
- Today's Irish news roundup...
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities
- Government minister calls for investigation...
- Irishman John Downey arrested for 1982 IRA...
- Amnesty International says Ireland’s abortion...
- Nigerian migrants send $653 million a year...
- Top bishops clash over excommunication of...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- New book ‘John F. Kennedy - Among the Germans’.
- Calls for Irish Justice Minister to resign...
- Irish finance minister says US Senate are...