People and Politics by Patrick Roberts
British Tory MP attends Nazi party and old links with fascism are resurrected
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2011 at 07:54 AM
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist by many Irish political leaders
- Obama relative gets personal special deal on immigration in Boston court
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis' legacy, says Irish theologian
- My top ten Thanksgiving turkeys for 2013
- Was Tony Blair cuckolding the “Dirty Digger” magnate Rupert Murdoch?
|David Cameron and Aidan Burley|
Aidan Burley is or was a rising star in the Tory Party in Britain, pictured above with Prime Minister David Cameron.
He was a man seen by many as a future government minister if not Prime Minister material.
At 32 he is in his first term and had quickly gained a reputation as a leading Eurosceptic and a young man in hurry.
Until last weekend that is.
That was when it was revealed that Burley had attended a Nazi themed party, was photographed with people in Nazi regalia and listened as 'Heil Hitler' chants rang out all night.
Burley's Nazi adventure was revealed in the Mail on Sunday, but it also said an awful lot about the British upper class.
Prince Harry you might remember a few years back, attended such a party and apparently was photographed in a Nazi uniform in 2006 and had to make an abject apology.
There is a streak of fascism in the Tory Party and among the British upper classes plainly.
Let's not forget that the abdicated King Edward V111 was an open Nazi admirer
How a young politician on the rise could have thought that attending such a a party was somehow ok says something about that strain of fascism that still reigns in part of the British upper crusts.
Of course he should be kicked out of the party and taught a lesson about how unsuitable for democratic politics such liaisons are.
Heil Hitler indeed.
the Latest #IRISHTRAVEL
- Irish trafficker of rhino horns pleads guilty in New York...
- Your Voice, Your View: Have your say about IrishCentral's redesign...
- Irish Traveller family charged with kidnap and slavery over thirteen years ...
- Irish traveler charged over New York rhino horn sale...
- Irish puppy farm now a favorite destination for Hollywood A-listers...
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-p
- Spanish judge slams Ryanair’s sexist air...
- Offensive NFL sign outside restaurant just...
- Bah! Humbug! The ten worst things about Christm
- No Irish prosecution for man named as world’s...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Ireland crowned “Top Tourist Destination”...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra