People and Politics by Patrick Roberts
Barack Obama has made little progress for the lives of struggling blacks Americas (VIDEO)
Posted on Thursday, August 29, 2013 at 08:09 AM
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist by many Irish political leaders
- Obama relative gets personal special deal on immigration in Boston court
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis' legacy, says Irish theologian
- My top ten Thanksgiving turkeys for 2013
- Was Tony Blair cuckolding the “Dirty Digger” magnate Rupert Murdoch?
|President Obama delivering his speech on the steps |
of the Lincoln Memorial on Wednesday
Obama has tiptoed around the image of him as the first African American president, clearly believing that raising the racial issue makes for more animosity for him from opponents.
He is right in that, there is a real question of whether blacks are all that better off under him than other recent presidents.
It was instructive to see Obama speak literally in the shadow of the Lincoln Memorial. Lincoln too was hesitant in his day to acknowledge the extraordinary burden of slavery on black people until he eventually emerged with the breathtaking emancipation proclamation.
Obama does not have the rhetorical gifts or political crisis to handle what Lincoln, our most tried president, had to deal with. But Obama has come nowhere close.
But he has been remarkably silent on race which is one of the great issues of our day - we only have to look at the Trayvon Martin case to prove that.
What would an honest speech by President Obama look like? It would confront issues in the black community too, such as the extraordinary rate of black on black violence, the impact of fatherless families, the constant seeking of political victimization.
On the other hand addressing the virulent racism dressed up as political truth telling, especially from the right, would surely lead to more honest discourse. The need for honest and open discourse between the races has never been more obvious and the president must lead that debate.
He is in a unique position to make that happen. He is well into his second term and his legacy remains unfinished.
Alas the speech he made yesterday was not it.
VIDEO: President Obama Speech at 50th Anniversary of March on Washington, Pays Tribute to MLK
See more: US president , Right-wing Irish , Irish in US Politics , Irish Democrats , Irish News Blog , Irish News , Irish American
the Latest #IRISHTRAVEL
- Irish trafficker of rhino horns pleads guilty in New York...
- Your Voice, Your View: Have your say about IrishCentral's redesign...
- Irish Traveller family charged with kidnap and slavery over thirteen years ...
- Irish traveler charged over New York rhino horn sale...
- Irish puppy farm now a favorite destination for Hollywood A-listers...
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Baby dies in horror birth at Belfast hospital...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas