People and Politics by Patrick Roberts
Anti-immigrant surge likely as Irish economy deteriorates -- Resentment of foreign doctors and workers tip of the iceberg
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2012 at 08:15 AM
- Good Morning America says Sasha and Malia Obama bored stiff while in Ireland - Schedule heavy on history lectures and searching for ancient roots blamed - VIDEO
- Anti-Catholic rant against Notre Dame is nothing new for the Fighting Irish to face - Ohio State president slammed for “those damn Catholics” comments is latest in long line
- Donald Trump, the gift that keeps on giving to Democrats - Latest delusion about running for president continues the madness
- No U.S Ambassador to Ireland in place until September at least say insiders - No envoy in Dublin for Barack and Michelle Obama trip to Ireland in June
- Sen. Marco Rubio support now makes certain immigration bill will pass Senate - Bipartisan immigration reform now has an excellent chance of becoming law - VIDEO
|Immigrants in Ireland Credit: Irish Star|
I predict Ireland is set for an anti-immigrant surge given the deteriorating economic situation in the country.
I can’t count the number of times the issue of immigrants and taking Irish jobs has arisen in conversations during recent trips over there.
Ironically it begins in the hospitals where there have been a number of recent high-profile cases involving foreign doctors being charged with negligence and in some cases even sexual assault of patients.
The influx of foreign doctors is, ironically, a clear sign of the Irish brain drain. Australia, Canada and other countries are snapping up Irish medical graduates who have cost the Irish taxpayers tens of millions to educate.
In order to fill the gap foreign graduates often from pretty exotic countries have been brought in.
While the vast majority is highly qualified it is also clear some are not given the number of incidents that have been reported.
It is an utter paradox that those most recently qualified leave for better careers abroad. 76,000 people left Ireland in the year to April 2011, the equivalent of one million Canadians leaving their country. It is an incredible figure.
Locket of hair from Michael Collins’ dead body to be auctioned off in Dublin
IrishCentral's special Titanic Centenary Commemoration section
“We are losing our young, our best and brightest,” said David Monahan (48), the Dublin artist whose photographs of emigrants leaving have caught the sad moments.
“It’s affecting our future economy, but also our sense of community,” he told the Toronto Star recently.
In many communities where immigrants were previously welcomed there are now clear signs of strain.
Some people assume that the “foreigners” are ripping off Ireland’s still generous social welfare system. With local Irish being crippled with taxes to pay off bankrupt banks, the anti immigrant sentiment seems a convenient scapegoat.
Time will tell if the anti immigrant lobby will grow but my anecdotal belief is that it will. I would not be surprised to see some Le Pen type political party take hold in Ireland if the economy continues to deteriorate.
Alas, that is the price for frustrated change and economic gloom.
the Latest #IRISHTRAVEL
- All Ireland Winners of the 2013 Irish Restaurant Awards...
- Two Irish chefs launch new All-Ireland Culinary tours business...
- Irish restaurant critic Ross Golden-Bannon launches pop-up artisan eatery...
- "First Woman Bishop" elected as one of Ireland's four main church leaders - VIDEO...
- Irish chefs Zack Gallagher and Wendy Kavanagh start new all-Ireland culinary tour business...
- Good Morning America says Sasha and Malia...
- Michelle Obama and daughters trace their...
- Former church spokesman criticised for using...
- President Obama’s visit to North comes at...
- Sinn Fein deputy leader speaks out against...
- Daily Mail unloads on 'drunken young' Paddys...
- Body of Irish immigrant tossed in medical...
- Dating website for ‘homosensible’ Catholic...
- Michelle Obama and daughters visit Glendalough.
- Shock as Irish priest praises Prime Minister’s.