People and Politics by Patrick Roberts
Anthony Weiner to resign; was finished once people began laughing at him
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2011 at 11:53 AM
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist by many Irish political leaders
- Obama relative gets personal special deal on immigration in Boston court
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis' legacy, says Irish theologian
- My top ten Thanksgiving turkeys for 2013
- Was Tony Blair cuckolding the “Dirty Digger” magnate Rupert Murdoch?
The New York Times is reporting that Anthony Weiner is set to step down today bringing an end to his political career.
Washington Post legend David Broder once remarked that the one reaction politicians cannot survive is when people begin laughing at the mention of their name.
Remember the unfortunate Admiral Stockdale who ran as Ross Perot's running mate and became a staple of late nigh comedians because of his inability to handle the spotlight?
Weiner has now reached the same point and there is simply no way back for him. He has become a punchline in an increasingly less funny joke.
In the end he failed because he was clearly intensely disliked by his own Democratic colleagues as well as those who were his political opponents.
He was clearly hoping to ride out the storm and to somehow recover with the passage of time.
Anthony Weiner refuses to resign despite comments from President Obama
Disgraced Anthony Wiener’s Irish side is revealed
New York set for first Irish American mayor in decades after Weiner collapse
But even long time friends like mentor Charles Schumer and President Bill Clinton were lukewarm at best about speaking out on his behalf.
So another sex scandal,another politician bites the dust.
The only sure thing is we will see it again and again. The nexus between power and sex means it is always so.
the Latest #IRISHTRAVEL
- Irish trafficker of rhino horns pleads guilty in New York...
- Your Voice, Your View: Have your say about IrishCentral's redesign...
- Irish Traveller family charged with kidnap and slavery over thirteen years ...
- Irish traveler charged over New York rhino horn sale...
- Irish puppy farm now a favorite destination for Hollywood A-listers...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Irish drugs mule to escape full trial and...
- Top Christmas Irish ads that will be bring...
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Bill O’Reilly slams Nelson Mandela as an...