People and Politics by Patrick Roberts
A Catholic can now marry British monarch but may never become king or queen
Posted on Monday, October 31, 2011 at 08:55 AM
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist by many Irish political leaders
- Obama relative gets personal special deal on immigration in Boston court
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis' legacy, says Irish theologian
- My top ten Thanksgiving turkeys for 2013
- Was Tony Blair cuckolding the “Dirty Digger” magnate Rupert Murdoch?
|Queen Elizabeth and Pope John Paul II|
The decision by the British government to allow their monarch to marry a Catholic is only 400 years or so long in coming.
Up until last week's decision the monarch would absolutely lose the throne if a papist was his/her consort.
Just a papist mind you, a marriage with a Hindu, Muslim or Jewish person was not considered disqualifying
It was a remarkable piece of discrimination that lasted centuries and was originally brought in after Henry V111 dumped the church to create his own.
But the monarch himself/herself can never become a Catholic as that conflicts with their role as head of the Church of England.
Which really makes England a theocracy more than a monarchy in some ways.
It clearly means that the king or queen has to be an Anglican and will lose his/her crown if they decide to suddenly become a Buddhist.
Which is outright religious discrimination.
And even though they can now marry a Catholic what happens when they have children?
The Vatican always seeks for a child of a mixed marriage couple to be brought up a Catholic.
Which would of course disqualify that child from ever becoming the king or queen.
It could lead too an extraordinary stand off between church and state at some point in the future.
Which seems ridiculous in this day and age.
the Latest #IRISHTRAVEL
- Irish trafficker of rhino horns pleads guilty in New York...
- Your Voice, Your View: Have your say about IrishCentral's redesign...
- Irish Traveller family charged with kidnap and slavery over thirteen years ...
- Irish traveler charged over New York rhino horn sale...
- Irish puppy farm now a favorite destination for Hollywood A-listers...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Irish drugs mule to escape full trial and...
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist...
- Top Christmas Irish ads that will be bring...
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.