People and Politicsby Patrick Roberts
- No U.S Ambassador to Ireland in place until September at least say insiders - No envoy in Dublin for Barack and Michelle Obama trip to Ireland in June
- Sen. Marco Rubio support now makes certain immigration bill will pass Senate - Bipartisan immigration reform now has an excellent chance of becoming law - VIDEO
- Senator Chris Murphy, a political star is born over N.R.A. and gun issue - NY Times’ Maureen Dowd hails a new voice in the battle against more guns
- Hillary is definitely running for president says Maureen Dowd in her NY Times column - Urges Clinton to leave her troubling dark side behind for her 2016 run
- Is Senator Marco Rubio now trying to kill immigration reform after first supporting it? - Latest objections could mean he has turned rail on achieving immigration breakthrough
The latest opinion polls from the weekend show voters indicating that 15 percent of them will vote for independents, rather than any of the established parties.
That sure smells of revolution, but the problem Ireland has is that there is no organized Tea Party to take advantage.
Rush Limbaugh among others is calling again for Obama to produce the long form of his birth certificate to prove he was born an American.
The right wing web was aflame yesterday with stories that Hawaii governor Neil Abercrombie had not found the version of Obama's birth certificate , though Abercrombie himself had said nothing on the topic.
They had threatened to vote against it, triggering an immediate General Election.
One of them, Michael Lowry, announced that he and his colleague Jackie Healy Rae would now back the bill after consultations with the Finance Minister Brian Lenihan (photo).
An Irish photographer has begun taking parting shots of young Irish emigrants leaving the shores for foreign lands.
Not as crazy as it sounds.
Now that the leading light of MSNBC has abruptly quit he is a free agent.
Thousands left America when the going was good. Many splashed out big money for overpriced houses and waited for the boom to continue.
The latest expose on the Catholic Church in Ireland and the pedophile scandal is truly extraordinary.
But his actions speak louder than his words.
On his show on Thursday night he revealed who he considered the nine most dangerous people were.
Reports are now circulating that Brian Cowen may well step down this afternoon. Mary Coughlan the Deputy Prime Minster will takeover on a temporary basis and a Fianna Fail election for leader would take place next week.
An election is now likely to be sooner rather than later if this happens and a date around February 17th has been discussed.
Earlier today Irish Times journalist Brian O'Connell tweeted that two ministers in Cowen's government, Finance Minster Brian Lenihan and Foreign Minister Micheal Martin, will lead an attempt to topple Cowen at a parliamentary meeting on Thursday at 3pm, Irish time.
Congreswoman Gabrielle Giffords is a "very wonderful perky young woman, very popular in Arizona, a wonderful woman" is how Congressman Jerry Nadler described his friend.
Giffords is a Jewish American. Her husband Mark Kelly the astronaut was named in Irish America magazine's Top 100 last year.She told Dana Bash of CNN that she had attended midnight mass at the Vatican this Christmas after flying to Rome.
Rhetoric in Arizona has been very violent in the past few months. It has been sad to witness the type of naked threats and inflammatory laws that have been passed in that benighted state.
Fine Gael, the main Irish opposition party, has increased its lead in the first poll of the new year and now are at 35 per cent, 14 per cent ahead of the Labor Party which stands at 21 per cent.
The poll makes clear that Fine Gael leader Enda Kenny is almost definitely the next Prime Minister of Ireland when the election is held, likely in March. The party has positioned itself as the only one not in hock to major labor unions or big business.
He is leading the latest argument over anchor babies which will be upped a notch this week when senior figures in the Republican Party mount an effort to turn back the 14th amendment which states that everyone born on American soil is a U.S. citizen.
the Latest #IRISHTRAVEL
- Irish chefs Zack Gallagher and Wendy Kavanagh start new all-Ireland culinary tour business...
- Today's Irish news roundup...
- Elderly Irishman decribes being kept in servitude for six years by Irish Travellers gang...
- Travel chaos across Ireland as bus drivers go ahead with strike action...
- Today's Irish news roundup...
- Government minister calls for investigation...
- Irishman John Downey arrested for 1982 IRA...
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities
- Amnesty International says Ireland’s abortion...
- New book ‘John F. Kennedy - Among the Germans’.
- Irish finance minister says US Senate are...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- Top bishops clash over excommunication of...
- Nigerian migrants send $653 million a year...
- Calls for Irish Justice Minister to resign...