People and Politics by Patrick Roberts
Royal baby makes Americans go weak at the knees
Posted on Monday, July 22, 2013 at 08:25 AM
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist by many Irish political leaders
- Obama relative gets personal special deal on immigration in Boston court
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis' legacy, says Irish theologian
- My top ten Thanksgiving turkeys for 2013
- Was Tony Blair cuckolding the “Dirty Digger” magnate Rupert Murdoch?
|William & Kate after they announced they were expecting in January|
Palace officials confirmed early Monday morning that Kate is in the early stages of labor. Judging by Twitter the American magazines are more interested about the royal babe than the Brits themselves.
It has always been so.
Our proud republic, founded on a war to get rid of a British monarch, gets all weak at the knees when the British royals are the topic.
But there is another reason this year to make whoopee.
There’s a commercial motive of course. This is the silly season where newspapers and magazines go to die as people take off on vacation.
A royal birth nicely trumps all that, the hottest selling story of the year occurring at the slowest time.
It is the gift that keeps on giving. There will be the first photos, the furore over the name (Honey Boo not likely) and a fusillade of stories about everything from the child’s birth sign to astrological predictions.
It is a fun story of course, and a harmless one, even if the overkill will drive you nuts after a few weeks.
The child’s birth is announced on an old fashioned easel at Buckingham Palace.
Imagine that in this age of Twitter. It is like driving a Model T ford at the Formula One Grand Prix.
The Americans will lap it all up, quaint, old fashioned etc. We’ll hear about names, breast feeding, lines of succession etc.
And eventually we’ll get back to real news.
For now it is a royal world and we are just living in it.
Was it for this, George Washington lead us etc.
See more: Irish News Blog , Offbeat Irish , Irish News
15 - 48 | See all comments
the Latest #IRISHTRAVEL
- Irish trafficker of rhino horns pleads guilty in New York...
- Your Voice, Your View: Have your say about IrishCentral's redesign...
- Irish Traveller family charged with kidnap and slavery over thirteen years ...
- Irish traveler charged over New York rhino horn sale...
- Irish puppy farm now a favorite destination for Hollywood A-listers...
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.