Irish Media Nation by John Lee
"Hunger Games" High for Irish American Artist
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2012 at 04:21 PM
- "New York Paddy" Peter Quinn explores history and mystery of the trilogy (VIDEO)
- Tanaiste dives Into the Tweetstream with open-ended live Twitter chat in NYC
- Mutant ninja Irish dancers Fusion Fighters duel in video game
- Electronic pulse propels video love letter to Dublin (VIDEO)
- Ireland back on leader board with a 'Top Ten' ranking on the Global Innovation Index 2013 - VIDEO
You see the work of illustrator Tim O'Brien on the covers of TIME, Rolling Stone, Esquire, Harper's, in advertising and on book jackets.
Thanks to one series of book jackets, an expanding universe of people are enjoying his art, especially starting today, opening day for the film, "The Hunger Games."
"The artwork for the Suzanne Collins novel, "The Hunger Games" was an illustration done in 2008. Since then I did all three covers for the series and now my artwork/design is featured on the movie poster and as a pin IN the movie "The Hunger Games," opening nationwide 3/23/12. It may be the biggest movie of the year and perhaps one of the largest openings ever.
"Seeing it plastered everywhere is amazing and after going to the premiere in Los Angeles and then the after party, I feel I might have just watched my career high point cruise by. Still basking in the glow though."
A native of New Haven, Conn. and a Brooklyn resident, Tim's work has garnered many awards and honors, including the Hamilton King Award from the Society of Illustrators. He's also a professor at the University of the Arts in Philadelphia and Pratt Institute in Brooklyn. Tim serves on the executive committee of the Society of Illustrators as Vice President and is on the Board of the Irish American Writers and Artists.
To see more of his work, go to www.obrienillustration.com