Irish Media Nationby John Lee
- YouTube previews "new" sport set for Dublin kick-off - VIDEO
- Shadowy ninjas of Irish dance, Fusion Fighters set to debut March 17 (VIDEO)
- No shortage of ways to be Linkedin to Ireland and the Irish worldwide
- Emigration and immigration: comings and goings of the Irish...and everyone else
- Looking for White Christmas in NYC (VIDEO)
Cork native, Dublin resident Gavin Sheridan is putting his considerable energy behind a new journalism for the new media, digital media era. Employing evolving techniques of data-driven journalism, process journalism and computer assisted reporting, he’s using digital technology and Ireland’s Freedom of Information (FOI) laws to nudge the Irish government towards transparency, accountability and openness.
He’s found some of the most tantalizing information at the granular level of government expense reports. “I can see the expense claims, the receipts--I can see this guy spent 400 euros on hiring a hat for his wife to go to the races in England,” he said of John O’Donoghue, the former Speaker of Ireland's Parliament who resigned in 2009 after an expenses scandal related when he was Minister of Arts, Sport and Tourism.