Governor Signs Drug Test for Welfare Law
- Assault on our free press could make America no better than a banana republic
- Obama administration getting caught in its own tangled web of deceit - has the White House been lying through its teeth
- Benghazi/Watergate - What difference does it make?
- In one day, 20 shot in Chicago - Officials blame the weather, we blame the officials
- They say success has many fathers, but Benghazi Libya is the orphan on the White House step
Florida Governor Rick Scott (R) on Tuesday signed into law the requirement that adults applying for welfare assistance undergo drug screening.
This had been one of Governor Scotts primary aims when he campaigned for Governor of the state, to bring some control to the states welfare programs.
"It's the right thing for taxpayers," , "It's the right thing for citizens of this state that need public assistance. We don't want to waste tax dollars. And also, we want to give people an incentive to not use drugs." Scott said after signing the legislation into law.
The laws lofty aim is a way to help the states drug addiction and abuse problems, by creating incentives to stay clean in order to receive assistance from the state.
The usual suspects, Democrats from the state's congressional delegation, issued a joint statement attacking the legislation, one calling it "downright unconstitutional."
"Governor Scott's new drug testing law is not only an affront to families in need and detrimental to our nation's ongoing economic recovery, it is downright unconstitutional," said Rep. Alcee Hastings. "If Governor Scott wants to drug test recipients of benefits, where does he draw the line? Are families receiving Medicaid, state emergency relief, or educational grants and loans next?"
Rep. Corrine Brown said the tests "represent an extreme and illegal invasion of personal privacy."
Really? What a concept, social engineering by the government in order to change peoples behavior, how unconstitutional! Almost every law passed by politicians is designed to modify the citizens behavior!!!
If requiring a clean drug test before receiving a government check is such a hardship, how about all of the private companies and government agencies that require clean drug tests of their employees?
This law is a good law and long overdue. Just maybe it can help break the chain of generational welfare dependency that has developed over the past 40 years. If you are not being subsidized to be drug addled, maybe it will provide the incentive to go out and improve your life.
Just like requiring proper identification in order to vote in elections was met with a cacophony of protests. The same group is crying foul now that a Governor is tackling the thorny issue of welfare reform.
Kudos to the states for being proactive in bringing about fundamental change. Because the "hope and change" promised by Washington, is nothing but bong smoke.For other points of view visit Carroll Standard:
- Right-wing shock jock Pete Santilli slammed for vicious attack on Hillary Clinton...
- New York GAA report: Goals the difference for Rockland against Long Island Gaels...
- Conservative news entertainment complex claim Barack Obama leader of Al Qaeda...
- Boston man confronts Infowars conspiracy nuts over 'false flag' claim...