Father Timby Father TIm
- Rachel Corrie honors Irish history, while Israel forgets its own
- An Irish nun, a Catholic hospital, a dying mother, an abortion, and...
- Déjà vu: Phoebe Prince & Catholic Church scandal
- Archbishops of Canterbury who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones
- Nobody buying what Catholic Church defenders selling
It has not taken long for news of the excommunication of an Irish nun in the misbegotten state of Arizona to reach around the world, even to the far-off mission in which I am blessed to serve.
You can read the whole story here, but in brief: Sister Margaret McBride, a longtime and faithful worker at St. Joseph's Hospital in Phoenix with some pioneering accomplishments helping the poor to her credit, has been excommunicated by local Bishop Thomas Olmsted. Sister Margaret was a member of the hospital's ethics committee, which faced a terrible decision. A patient with an 11-week-old fetus was dying in the hospital from a rare heart condition, in which the strains of pregnancy can tip the balance between life and death.