Boston Irishman in Irelandby Larry Donnelly
- It's an Irish American duel, Boston’s hotly contested mayoral race
- Low down as Boston mayoral comes race down to the wire
- Critics be damned, I’ll always be a Rose of Tralee fan
- Why proud Irish American Governor Martin O’Malley would not be a “lousy presidential candidate”
- Why reform is needed in the Irish Senate over abolition - realizing the Seanad's 'real potential'
Every once in a while, something transpires in politics that makes even the most cynical and hardened of observers shake his head. I found myself shaking my head over the weekend in the wake of the Senate vote to delay the confirmation of Chuck Hagel to be the next US Secretary of Defense. Invoking a cloture vote, which, like a filibuster, requires 60 votes in the 100 member US Senate, 40 Republicans voted to delay taking the final decision.