Irish Dance and Pop Cultureby S.J. Velasquez
- 'Heartbeat of Home' online auditions prompt influx of amazing dancer videos - VIDEOS
- The top 12 Irish dance videos of 2012 - VIDEOS
- Post-show interview with TLC's 'Big Jig' star Mary Kay Heneghan - VIDEOS
- Sean-nós dance revival reveals different side of Irish dance - VIDEOS
- Irish dance friendships: - down under meets upstate NY
After a whirlwind year of press tours, dancing on nationally televised talent shows and appearing in a McDonald's commercial, the team from Up & Over It has delivered to the Web world another cheeky YouTube video that marks an end to the hand-dance era.
About a year ago, the Up & Over It crew -- comprising dancers Peter Harding and Suzanne Cleary, and video producer Jonny Reed -- posted its now famous "We No Speak Americano" hand-dance video on YouTube. The stone-faced dancers caught the attention of the world, and they were pitched into sudden stardom after the video became a viral hit.
In their new video "Hands," the crew references the previous year, "explores the sensationalism of Internet hype and reflects on their struggle to balance commercial success with artistic integrity," according to a statement provided by the group.