Irish Dance and Pop Cultureby S.J. Velasquez
- Irish dance group TapTronic takes to the NYC streets for new video
- Catching up with Jason Oremus of Hammerstep dance crew (VIDEOS)
- TapTronic dancers step up their step-dancing game - VIDEOS
- 'Heartbeat of Home' online auditions prompt influx of amazing dancer videos - VIDEOS
- The top 12 Irish dance videos of 2012 - VIDEOS
Jean Butler may have put her ghillies to rest in 2010, but the Riverdance lead lady's mark on the Irish dance world won't be fading any time soon.
On Jan. 7, Butler allowed a small audience at Douglas Dunn studio in Manhattan a peek at her recent dance project, "Hurry the Jug," named for the Irish set dance she performed as a child. And while the traditional tune is the stem of her inspiration, the movements she displayed in her acappella performance of the work-in-progress were a far cry from the rigid motions synonymous with step dancing.