Off The Record by Mike Farragher
The snow keeps on coming - Snow Patrol and the Irish independent movie ‘My Brothers’ - VIDEO
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2011 at 09:42 AM
- Concern Worldwide launches charity CD “Together for Christmas”
- Cormac De Barra reinvents the harp as a rock and roll instrument
- Singer Jake Bugg’s new album brings us to paradise by way of Memphis
- Pierce Turner returns to US for New York, Philadelphia concerts
- The Celtic Tenors Christmas CD lends an Irish vibe to the sounds of the season
The band’s slick electro-fused rock has gotten a bit formulaic over the last few albums, but the songs on the band’s website are sparse acoustic ballads that sound very retro.
Songs like the title track and “I’m Ready” sound like they were recorded on a shoe-string, the expensive production stripped to allow beautiful words and melodies to breathe.
“You might think you’re cursed/but what’s so much worse is the knowledge that you are/when you’re cursed with love buried so deep that you can’t dig it out of you,” Gary Lightbody sings on “My Brothers.”
The band plans a release of an EP this week to include the current single “Called Out in the Dark,” a spare electronic track that sounds a bit like Bell X1’s quirky digital doodles -- and that’s a good thing!
The band’s new album Fallen Empires will undoubtedly extend what seems to be a never ending tour for the band, who plays Brazil and Argentina later this month.