Off The Record by Mike Farragher
The snow keeps on coming - Snow Patrol and the Irish independent movie ‘My Brothers’ - VIDEO
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2011 at 09:42 AM
- An open letter to the Catholic League on rant against David Bowie video “The Next Day” - VIDEO
- All-star benefit for great Irish musician Mickey Finns’ Ray Kelly who died tragically
- Amen to Rend Collective Experiment - VIDEO
- Finally some new U2 music from Bono and the boys?
- The Jersey Shore is back after Hurricane Sandy - The Irish Festival kicks off
The band’s slick electro-fused rock has gotten a bit formulaic over the last few albums, but the songs on the band’s website are sparse acoustic ballads that sound very retro.
Songs like the title track and “I’m Ready” sound like they were recorded on a shoe-string, the expensive production stripped to allow beautiful words and melodies to breathe.
“You might think you’re cursed/but what’s so much worse is the knowledge that you are/when you’re cursed with love buried so deep that you can’t dig it out of you,” Gary Lightbody sings on “My Brothers.”
The band plans a release of an EP this week to include the current single “Called Out in the Dark,” a spare electronic track that sounds a bit like Bell X1’s quirky digital doodles -- and that’s a good thing!
The band’s new album Fallen Empires will undoubtedly extend what seems to be a never ending tour for the band, who plays Brazil and Argentina later this month.