Off The Record by Mike Farragher
Sinead O’Connor to pay tribute to Curtis Mayfield in New York City
Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2012 at 11:02 AM
- Celtic Tenors bring the sounds of Christmas to sellout crowd in New Jersey
- Concern Worldwide launches charity CD “Together for Christmas”
- Cormac De Barra reinvents the harp as a rock and roll instrument
- Singer Jake Bugg’s new album brings us to paradise by way of Memphis
- Pierce Turner returns to US for New York, Philadelphia concerts
O’Connor has called Mayfield “my absolute musical hero, along with Dylan and Marley.” She cites his album There’s No Place Like America Today as one of her all-time favorites, and recorded his song “We Who are Darker Than Blue.”
Ms. O has cancelled a number of shows behind her criminally ignored album earlier this year, How About I Be Me (And You Be You)? but to see these other artists on the bill for tickets that start at $35 is still a bargain even if she is a no-show.
For more information call 212-721-6500 or visit http://lincolncenterfestival.org/index.php/2012-curtis-mayfield.