Off The Record by Mike Farragher
Pierce Turner returns to New York
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2011 at 06:36 AM
- Concern Worldwide launches charity CD “Together for Christmas”
- Cormac De Barra reinvents the harp as a rock and roll instrument
- Singer Jake Bugg’s new album brings us to paradise by way of Memphis
- Pierce Turner returns to US for New York, Philadelphia concerts
- The Celtic Tenors Christmas CD lends an Irish vibe to the sounds of the season
Our old pal Pierce Turner spends his time between New York and Ireland nowadays, and since the weather in Ireland (along with everything else) has gone to the dogs lately, he is spending time on our shores.
This coming March he will join an impressively large number of Irish musical entities who will take part in the prestigious annual music event South by South West in Austin Texas. Over 21 acts will be flown over from Ireland this year, the largest number ever.
For New York fans, you will be able to catch him as he opens a new Irish music venue called Percy’s Tavern (210 Avenue A, cross street 13th; website: percysnyc.com) on Friday, February 4 before heading south.
Some of you will remember Percy’s Tavern owner Larry Watson as the infamous gatekeeper with Paddy Reilly’s music bar during its heyday. Watson plans to create a new musical home for all types of Irish culture.
The show begins at 9 p.m. sharp and admission is only $10. Reserve ahead by calling 212-473-7770.