Off The Record by Mike Farragher
Glen Hansard returns with 'For the Birds'
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2011 at 06:38 AM
- Singer Jake Bugg’s new album brings us to paradise by way of Memphis
- Pierce Turner returns to US for New York, Philadelphia concerts
- The Celtic Tenors Christmas CD lends an Irish vibe to the sounds of the season
- A year after the tragic loss of lead singer, Mickey Finns rise again
- Back to Boston for Colm O’Brien (VIDEO)
Glen Hansard has been a busy boy lately. The Frames frontman strummed alongside Bono as he sang “Make Me a Channel of Your Peace” at the Sargent Shriver funeral Mass over the weekend.
Now comes word that his band will reunite to play their classic 2001 album For the Birds in its entirety on March 30 at the Vicar Street venue in Dublin.
Mainly recorded in Steve Albini’s Electrical Audio studio in Chicago, its numerous highlights include “In the Deep Shade,” “Lay Me Down” and – swoon – ‘”What Happens When the Heart Just Stops.”
This reporter named this album as one of the best things to come out of Ireland in the last decade, so you know I will be on the lookout for cheap airfares fares. This concert is shaping up to be one for the ages!