Irish President Mary McAleese accepts most gay friendly politician award
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2011 at 01:59 PM
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay bigots
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Bill O’Reilly slams Nelson Mandela as an unrepentant “communist”
- Forging a bond with my father during an idyllic trip to Donegal
- JFK and the Sacred Heart were the twin pillars of life in Donegal
Her acceptance speech was classic McAleese: informed, heartfelt, genuinely supportive and speaking as a president for all of the Irish people.
She will be a very tough act to follow. I hope the Irish public will keep her example in mind when they go to the polls to elect a new president on Friday.
With the support of her husband Martin, McAleese's presidential style was quietly self-effacing, so much so that it's startling to recognize how transformative it actually was.
President Mary McAleese declines St. Patrick's Day NYC Grand Marshal invite
President McAleese pays tribute to Irish victims of Twin Tower attacks
Queen Elizabeth will visit Ireland before Mary McAleese steps down