From The Hob by Paul Keating
Chicago shows support fine Irish fiddler for Maurice Lennon
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2012 at 01:54 AM
- Pearl River trad group Girsa to perform holiday concerts in the tristate area
- Clancy Legacy continues with Christmas shows from Aoife and Robbie, new CD from Donal
- Boston’s WGBH to present 11th annual broadcast of “A Christmas Celtic Sojourn”
- At concerts across the tristate area, artists will celebrate an Irish Christmas
- Owners of Boston’s Burren Pub to host CD release party while helping homeless
|Fiddle player Maurice Lennon|
Maurice Lennon from Rossiniver, Co. Leitrim, the son of fiddler Ben Lennon and nephew of musician and composer Charlie Lennon, is one of Ireland’s finest fiddlers who at 17 was the youngest ever to win the senior All-Ireland championship.
He was also a founding member of Stockton’s Wing, performing alongside Kieran and Michael Hanrahan, Paul Roche and Tommy Hayes in that trail-blazing outfit very popular in the eighties.
He has made a courageous battle against cancer for several years, racking up tremendous expenses without the benefit of any healthcare, so his many friends in the Chicago area have put together a massive fundraising drive to help defray those expenses.
For those of us who cannot be there in person, we can help support the cause from long distance through the purchase of a special CD compilation, When Hope Dawns at Sunrise ($15 plus shipping at $2.50) or via regular donations made payable to the Maurice Lennon Fundraiser, c/o Ella Riordan-Pacheco, Signature Bank, 6400 N. Northwest Highway, Chicago, Illinois 60631. For more information on the event or to make a CD purchase or donation via Paypal visit www.mauricelennonfundraiser.com.