From The Hobby Paul Keating
- Pearl River trad group Girsa to perform holiday concerts in the tristate area
- Clancy Legacy continues with Christmas shows from Aoife and Robbie, new CD from Donal
- Boston’s WGBH to present 11th annual broadcast of “A Christmas Celtic Sojourn”
- At concerts across the tristate area, artists will celebrate an Irish Christmas
- Owners of Boston’s Burren Pub to host CD release party while helping homeless
What a glorious night at Beal Bocht Café in the Bronx last Saturday for an evening with the Dublin songstress Niamh Parsons and her partner, accompanist Graham Dunne, on guitar.
She is one of the great voices in the Irish music scene with a wide selection of great story songs redolent of the seminal influences of Frank Harte and the Goilin Singers Club which she carries to a wider world through her touring and recordings. She was in great form as was guitar wizard Dunne for an appreciative audience.
While I’m always bemoaning the lack of real great house with pub atmosphere for Irish music in New York City of a size that would be more conducive to drawing acts here, it is easy to overlook the charms of this cultural clearinghouse in the Riverdale section of the Northwest Bronx.