From The Hobby Paul Keating
- New Jersey Fleadh weekend a huge success
- Comhaltas Ceoltoiri Eireann Congress celebrates growth - with 415 branches in 15 countries
- Recalling the great Irish musician Felix Dolan - VIDEO
- The Yanks are coming - debut album of New York City favorite building a buzz
- New York Irish Center hosts great night - Oliver O’Connell, Mickey Dunne live in Queens
What a glorious night at Beal Bocht Café in the Bronx last Saturday for an evening with the Dublin songstress Niamh Parsons and her partner, accompanist Graham Dunne, on guitar.
She is one of the great voices in the Irish music scene with a wide selection of great story songs redolent of the seminal influences of Frank Harte and the Goilin Singers Club which she carries to a wider world through her touring and recordings. She was in great form as was guitar wizard Dunne for an appreciative audience.
While I’m always bemoaning the lack of real great house with pub atmosphere for Irish music in New York City of a size that would be more conducive to drawing acts here, it is easy to overlook the charms of this cultural clearinghouse in the Riverdale section of the Northwest Bronx.